April 5, 2009

Initial Blood Tests, 3/13/09

Now that we have some idea of how all these hormones are supposed to work, here's what mine look like, and how my doctor has come to the Dx of POF.

I had my blood labs completed on 3/13/09. Here's the rundown. (Normal ranges are in parentheses). I've included my thyroid workup b/c those numbers are important, but honestly, I don't feel like explaining hypothyroidism on this blog. So here's what Wikipedia has to say about hypothyroidism instead.

Thyroid Panel:
  • TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) = 1.88 uIU/mL [0.34-5.60] Status: Normal
  • Free T3 (Triiodothyronine) = 3.31 pg/mL [2.50-3.90] Status: Normal
  • Free T4 (Thyroxine) = 0.92 ng/dL [0.54-1.24] Status: Normal
Reproductive Hormone Panel:
  • Estradiol/E2 = 20 pg/dL [20-88 for post-menopausal women] Status: Low1
  • Progesterone = 0.14 ng/dL [0.08-0.78 for post-menopausal women] Status: Low2
  • Testosterone = 42 ng/dL [10-75] Status: Normal3
  • FSH = 57.7 mIU/mL [23-116.3 for post-menopausal women] Status: High4
  • LH = 34.0 mIU/mL [8.7-76.3 for mid-cycle] Status: Normal
  • DHEA Sulfate (androgen) = 233 mcg/dL [43-320] Status: Normal
Other Tests:
  • Insulin = 22 uIU/mL [0-16] Status: High5
  • Glucose = 83 mg/dL [70-105] Status: Normal
  • Total Cholesterol = 197 mg/dL [less than 200] Status: Normal6
  • Triglycerides = 219 mg/dL [48-150] Status: High7
  • HDL = 44 mg/dL [23-95] Status: Normal8
  • LDL = 109.2 mg/dL [75-130] Status: Normal9
What do all these numbers actually mean?
  1. My ovaries are not producing enough estrogen on their own. This would account for my current amenorrhea. My levels are outside of non-pregnant females and in the post-menopausal female range.
  2. Because I am not ovulating, I'm not producing enough progesterone. My levels are outside of non-pregnant females and in the post-menopausal female range.
  3. Not terribly high, but high enough that it would explain my high sex drive. Arieh thinks it's funny that I have the hormones of a 16-year-old boy.
  4. Because there's not enough estrogen in my system, my pituitary gland is overcompensating and is pumping out extra amounts of FSH. My LH is in a holding pattern as a result; b/c there's no estrogen surge, the LH is just chillin' out, waiting for hormonal signals.
  5. Due to my thyroid, I am slightly insulin resistant. Thus, it's a general pain in the ass for me to lose weight. Also, I am at greater risk for developing diabetes, especially with familial history.
  6. This is the first my cholesterol has been under 200 in over a year. I am just skating by in terms of normal levels.
  7. Insulin resistance = increased levels of triglycerides. It all has to do with my decreased metabolism.
  8. Ideally, my HDL should be over 60 (this is the "good" cholesterol).
  9. Ideally, I need to decrease my LDL levels (this is the "bad" cholesterol).
Seeing my body's hormones in numbers really illustrates just how intricate the endocrine functions of the ovaries are to overall systemic health. I have followup blood work to be completed before my second appointment with my doctor in another couple of weeks.

No comments: