September 26, 2009

Looking at things in numbers

So my latest round of thyroid function tests have come back. And once again, my TSH has shot up, so now we're up to 100mcg. I was quite frustrated the other day when I actually went back through this blog and plotted my TSH levels over the last 6 months on a graph. And here they are:


What's particularly frustrating is how much this resembles my BBT chart that I started keeping almost a year ago: peaks, valleys, and no biphasic pattern. Not that my TSH should resemble a biphasic menstrual cycle, but it should appear stabilized.

*sigh*

This has been a rough week for some reason. Nothing in particular has triggered this emotional onslaught, but I am very frustrated with my thyroid, and I've just been very sad this week. What didn't help was calculating exactly how many days it's been since my last period: 281 days. 9 months, 1 week. 40 weeks rounded down. If I had conceived instead of getting a period on 12/20/08, I would be exactly full term today. But we weren't trying, we had no idea about my Dx... it just wasn't in the cards then.

But damn is it hard to realize it's been that long. I really do miss having my period, even the mood swings, the tampons, the cramps - all of it. It marked my sense of time. I'm lucky that I meet with a lovely group of women for a Red Tent Temple at each new moon, and that's helped immensely.

Like I said, it's been a hard week with regard to my IF headsphere. Tomorrow: Yom Kippur. The Days of Awe come to a close, and our fates are sealed for another year. I've sent up my prayers louder than ever this year, so we'll see. On Rosh HaShanah it is Written, and on Yom Kippur it is Sealed.

Good shabbos all.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi, I've been lurking for a while and I don't know your whole story but I'm concerned since you haven't had a period in so long. I'm anovulatory due to PCOS and have gone VERY long periods without bleeding either, but it's important to induce a flow every couple of months (~4 times a year) to prevent endometrial hyperplasia (which can lead to more serious problems). If you haven't talked with one of your doctors about this you should definitely bring it up soon and see what their thoughts are.

Also, I'm going to throw this out there... I don't have thyroid problems but I eat a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseed everyday and have found it to be very helpful in allergies and I think it helped my while TTC. From my internet research I have seen that supposedly it can also help with thyroid problems, but some websites also say it can cause problems too. I'm just throwing it out there. You might want to do a little research and ask your dr. before starting if you are interested.

Sorry you are feeling down. I hope that your prayers are answered this year.

Erica said...

From what I understand about Hashi's, you're subject to "hormone dumps". Since your thyroid issues are autoimmune in nature, as your body attacks your thyroid gland, part of your thyroid dies, and the hormone that was in there gets dumped into your blood.

If you suspect you may have had a hormone dump during your last blood draw, retesting after 6 weeks is always a good idea.

Shinejil said...

I've never had a Hashi's dx, but I did have a period when my TSH was all over the place--from undetectably low to nearly back where it was before I started replacement treatment. It is indeed very frustrating, esp if you're doing everything you can to stabilize and get healthy, and your thyroid's still going bonkers. I felt the same way.

I'm a terribly crunchy hippy gal, but alas, there really doesn't seem to be much out there in the "natural" or alternative realm for thyroid stuff, according to my research. Though generally healthy habits, I've found, do help somewhat.

That said, my TSH eventually leveled out (also once I was at around 100 mcg) at around 2.25-2.5. Why? Who the heck knows.