May 21, 2010

Welcome to May's ICLW!

Hi there! If you're new to the blog, feel free to poke around and check things out. Lots of info about me, this blog, and my interests are scattered all about. The About Keiko and Important Posts are good places to start. Also, make sure to check out the other folks participating in this month's ICLW.

Briefly: Hi! I'm Keiko. *waves* Welcome to my blog. And yes, that's my real name and face everywhere. No more hiding. I'm infertile, big whoop internet. Moving on... :)

I'm Jewish, I'm half-Japanese, I'm a video gamer, blogger, scrapbooker, wine snob and I freakin' love food, I'm seeing a nutrionist with my husband b/c we love food a bit too much, I've got POF and Hashi's, and we're decided to adopt in lieu of pursuing ART. While it's hella more expensive, I'm a huge chicken when it comes to medical stuff and I've been through a lot in the last year, so I'm just not up to more needles and doctor's visits. We hope to get the ball rolling on finding an agency within the next 3-4 months from now.

I'm just a month away from being a first-time Auntie and I can't wait to meet my neice. She's the first grandchild in my family, and she is going to have the best Mom and Dad ever, my sister "Otter" and my BIL "Thor."

I participate in this awesome thing called The Red Tent Temple Movement. I go to the Salem, MA chapter the first Monday after every new moon with a good friend of mine, "Honeybee." It is restorative, empowering, beautiful, and helps me to maintain my sense of womanly cycles since I don't get them anymore.

I made an award-winning short film last month chronicling my experience with infertility (click the What If? Video link above or to the right for more info) that has completely shaped and changed what I want to be when I grow up. Currently, I work in higher education. I've been living in a student residence hall for 3+ years now, and I'm kind of done living in a dorm. I've discovered that health advocacy is my true calling, as I've learned since making this video and seeing its impact. I'm at the right point to transition out of my current career field and into another. I'm currently looking for health advocacy opportunities in the Boston Metro area for an immediate start. Got any leads? Shoot me an email (on the Facebook badge on my right sidebar).

Also in the spirit of advocacy, I'm creating a network of Massachusetts-based infertility bloggers. Do you live in Massachusetts and blog about infertility? I'd love to get to know you. Check out this post for more info on how you can join!

Other things... I turn 28 on Tuesday, May 25th. I'm feeling a lot better about my approaching birthday this year than I did last year. That's saying a lot, because I don't normally get all excited for my birthday. This year? This year we're going to The Melting Pot. I've never been, and boy howdy - do I love me some cheese.

Last month, I made Iron Commenter. This month, I'm turning the tables: 7 days = 7 posts. I'm going to try and post every single day for the entire week, so stop back each day to see what's new!

Welcome and thanks for stopping by. If you feel so inclined, feel free to follow this blog*, follow me on Twitter, or friend me on Facebook. I'm looking forward to meeting and connecting with new folks to my blog! *If I hit 200 followers to this blog before the end of ICLW, I think I'll have to throw my first giveaway, so spread the word!

Happy Commenting & Happy ICLW!

14 comments:

Kristin said...

Keiko...I continue to be amazed by your short film. I keep seeing it pop up all over the blogosphere. I think you will do a brilliant job working in health advocacy.

ICLW #25

Catrisha T said...

I love your video, and I'm in total awe of you. You're truly an amazing and inspiring role model in the ALI community. You would be an amazing health advocate. Congrats on Iron Commenter status last month, can't wait to read all 7 posts this week for this month (of course and then some).

ICLW #52

Kelly L said...

Stopping by from ICLW! Finding an agency was the hardest part of our adoption, we ended up signing on with a few referral agencies and ended up using an adoption attorney. I hope you find a job in the health advocacy field!

Alex said...

Such an inspiring chica you are!!! Once again, love hearing your story!

daega99 said...

Congrats on Iron Commenter and have fun with your 7 posts this week.

I don't live in MA but I visit often, had surgery at Brigham & Women's last December and went to grad school there. It's my second home in spirit - until I can afford to purchase a real second home there...

ICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

Woo! I came across your What IF video a while ago, and it made it quickly across all of the TTC boards I was on. =) then it made it my Facebook <3

Fellow infertile, and Fellow Gamer ;)

ICLW #33

Unknown said...

BTW- You can just call us Jazz and Neal instead of "Otter" and "Thor". We're both proud of what you've been doing and can stand by you with our real names and faces as you go thru your IF journey.

Stickles McQueen said...

I just love how making your video prompted you to "come out of hiding" and helped you find a truer calling. I really believe that good things are going to come out of your decision to be more brave and authentic. I can't wait to read your 7 posts this week, and I send you all my good wishes for a health advocacy position and a smooth adoption process.

Rach said...

Well you've just gained yourself a new follower!

Hope the path to adoption is a smooth one for you!

Happy ICLW!!
#40 http://thegalwho.wordpress.com/

BabyWid said...

Happy ICLW!!

I hope the path into adoption is a smooth one for you guys! I wish you all the luck in the world as you start your journey!!

www.babywid.blogspot.com

Niki said...

I saw your video last month. It made me cry it was so moving. I am glad you found your calling. You are very lucky, most people have no clue what they want to do.
I hope you have a great birthday and the Melting Pot cheese fondue is out of this world.

Happy ICLW!(#64)

Patience said...

I was so moved by your video, that I linked to it on my blog. You were able to express things that I have never been able to get out. This is my first time participating in ICLW, and already I am addicted.
ICLW#137

Anne said...

First of all - happy birthday! The melting pot is definitely something to be very excited about. I recently found your blog and love reading your story. I hope all goes will in the adoption process :)

Di said...

I never lived in a dorm and don't think I could if I tried so I admire your ability to. Good luck with your adoption.

ICLW