October 14, 2010

Crowdsourcing: Best online donation system?

Photo: Dave Dugdale (Rentvine)
So I'm hoping to run my very first fundraiser on this lil ol' blog here, and I have no clue how to do it. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Something that's easy for me to admin.

2. Something that's easy for folks to click "donate," fill in their credit card info, and off the money goes.

>>2a. The money either goes directly to me in a separate checking account or directly to the organization. (Ideally, I'd like it to go to me so my husband's company can match the funds.)

3. Something that doesn't take too large of a cut of donations (or any at all).

4. Not a must, but something with it's own customizable widget would be nice too.

So I ask of you, dear readers:

What has been the best online donation system you've found out there? What donation systems should I avoid? What's the best way to setup your own online fundraiser via your blog?

Lay it on me folks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My org always used Firstgiving.

ash said...

Sarah, try bookraiser.com

My Hopeful Journey said...

I don't know how tough it is or what they get but for sure it seems to be very convenient. www.justgive.org and maybe even paypal offers some text services. Let me know how it works for you.

Debra Askanase said...

Hi Keiko,
I am the Community Engagement Manager at FirstGiving and I'm happy to answer any questions that you might have.

FirstGiving offers an extremely easy way to run a fundraiser to benefit any registered nonnprofit organization in the US. Just create a fundraising page for free at www.firstgiving.com, and your friends will be able to donate with a credit card, write a message, and see your fundraising progress.

If you want to post it on your blog, grab the widget and folks can click through from your blog widget to your fundraising page. For instructions on how to add a widget: http://support.firstgiving.com/entries/165539-adding-a-widget-to-your-blog-or-website.

If you have other questions, feel free to write: debra@firstgiving.com, or send a tweet to either @askdebra or @firstgiving.

Best of luck with your fundraiser!

Anonymous said...

Check out giveforward.org. A friend recently used it and as far as I know was pleased with it as a fundraising tool.
Good luck to you!

Kaitake said...

PayPal offers an easy to use "donate" button which you can add to a blog or a website of your own :) Also, their payment system is well trusted and known by folks :)
(I'm a web designer IRL)