November 29, 2010

A Life of Pleasure

Still on the cruise, still at sea, still having my posts scheduled ahead of time for today and tomorrow.

My dear friend Honeybee shared with me a wonderful activity she had recently done- she wrote down a list of things that give her pleasure. It's not about writing a list of things that turn us on sexually, rather, a list of what fulfills us and makes us just feel damn good.

Photo by Ben Smith via Flickr.
So... here's my list.

Sunbathing at the beach, my cats laying on my lap or curling up with me while I nap, the way my cats rest their heads while they nap, savory dishes like beef bourgogne and just about anything with shallots, vintage prints of birds and plants, hot springs baths in Arima, ice cold unfiltered sake, anything microfleece, the smell of the air after the first few minutes of rain, Milk Duds, the sound of leaves and twigs crunching under my feet when I hike, listening to techno (specifically Wolfgang Gartner's Illamerica) and driving way over the speed limit on windy roads, lighting Shabbos candles, taking artsy photographs, beading, painting, chocolate, reading PostSecret every Sunday, reading Gawker just about every day of the week, leveling up on Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, gazing at the very old cemetery behind our house from my kitchen window while I do the dishes, getting my nails done, cleaning my engagement ring, sleeping in soft cotton t-shirts, taking my shoes off after a long day, running, the sound of clocks, collecting neat looking stamps, fine writing instruments, witnessing beautiful and profound moments in nature, accomplishing something I've worked really hard for, doodling, Dunkin Donuts hot chocolate, writing, Red Tent Temple gatherings, making food with friends, tea, my cardamom and lemongrass body wash, pearls, draught beer, cold crisp winter nights where you can see every star in the sky, not killing bugs other than mosquitos, buying gifts for my husband, spending time with my family, getting massages, napping, caramel.

This is not exactly an exhaustive list, but it's a start.

What gives you pleasure?

1 comment:

Prairie Anonymous said...

I absolutely credit IF with causing me to create such a list. A list of things that I like, things that make me smile, things that make me feel better. On a bad day I review this list and find the things that can make it better. On an anniversary date I plan feel-good activities around this list. It's really helpful. Without IF I wouldn't have this list.