December 31, 2010

Cheers to 2011

Photo by Canon in 2D via Flickr.
I couldn't end the year on such a downer of a last post. I'm in a very different place this year: last year, 2010 couldn't come fast enough. Going into 2011, I look back at this year of blessing and abundance. We've been very lucky and have had many triumphs, successes, and joys in our lives, so this year I'm not necessarily rushing into another year. While I'm still basking in the glow of a retrograde Mercury, I do go into the New Year reflective, introspective, contemplative.

With Larry turning 29 last week and seeing my niece crawling around and so big already for six months, it gives me pause. As we head into a new decade, nearly the third decade of my own life, I'm realizing the value of little moments, to savor experiences, and that ultimately, to let the dumb stuff just roll off my shoulders. Life's too damn short to be bogged down.

Infertility still gets me down. This is always a challenge this time of year. It's winter in New England: the days are short - but getting longer and thus, brighter. Another year, another turn of the wheel.

Maybe this will be our year. Maybe not. Whatever happens, we'll roll with it.

. . .

I obsessively try to put together New Year's resolutions, every year. It's kind of a silly tradition. I pump all this hope and good intention and expectation on myself that come January, oh, 15th? they're already forgotten. I even write them down, but hardly glance at them after their writing. In fact, I've begun most of my journals throughout my life* shortly before the New Year, only to write in them for a few months and then leave the rest of the pages blank, memories unsaved and stories untold, off and running to more interesting pursuits than burying my nose in another journal.

*Speaking of these journals... I've recently found ALL of my journals from 7th grade through senior year of high school. I even found my very first diary, from 4th grade. I will be sporadically sharing some of these gems throughout the year.

So instead of making some resolutions, I think I'll just make some... promises to myself? Reminders? Things for which to strive? Hm, I guess that would be resolutions. Whatever.

In 2011, I will:

...become more invested in writing, both here, at a couple of other sites, and damn it, I'm writing a book. Bigger picture: find a little clarity and peace and write about it in the process.
...seriously taking a more active role in keeping up with housecleaning. (Doubling the square footage of living space has been quite the shock to someone who's never really been Lil' Miss Household Chores.)
...keep things in perspective.
...teach myself or learn something new.
...cook more and take some risks in the kitchen (that don't involve breaking the stove... again.)
...get moving (C25 what did you say again?)
..."read" more (or audiobook it up).
...redesign this blog (it's a bit overdue).
. . .

2011 could be our year. Ideally, we'd like to get the ball rolling by late fall/early winter. We have some interesting opportunities on our family-building horizon so who know's what's in store for us this year. I'm keeping things in perspective so if 2011 isn't our year, then it isn't. Won't know until we take each day at a time.

In 2011, I'll take it just like this year: I won't give up.

7 comments:

M3MU said...

I love your way of thinking. :) 2011 is going to be great... really. Whether we get/have babies or not there will be continued learning and great friendships made!
Happy New Year!

<3 Maren Lee

R. said...

Happy new year. I hope 2011 is a great year for you!

Kristin said...

Keiko, you are an amazing woman and I'm so glad I found your blog. I look forward to travelling through the year with you and hopefully, maybe celebrating withyou.

rebecca said...

A wonderful, positive way to start off the New Year! Hoping 2011 holds so much happiness and joy for you!!!

Christina said...

I hope that 2011 is your year, and that it brings you many blessings and much happiness <3

..al said...

Loved the line 'In 2011, I'll take it just like this year: I won't give up.'

So Keiko, have a great 2011 - fruition and love and compassion for you!

If you want to volunteer for housecleaning I know *wink wink* somebody else (which could be me) who would use you easily.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great list. Here's to it being your year.