April 15, 2011

The Matzo Balls Are Coming.

This post is part of the IF-Free Zone: a commitment to blogging about something other than my infertility journey every now and then. Why blog off-topic? We are more than our infertility. So enjoy another installment in the IF-Free Zone series. Here's another peek into regular 'ol me.

. . .

I'm not sure how it happened this year, but all of a sudden, Passover is this Monday night. Rosh HaShannah felt late, Hanukkah was way late, so I guess it makes sense that Passover is wicked late this year. We have done absolutely zero prep for Passover... we haven't even bought our boxes of matzo yet!

But we need to get on it this weekend, because folks: the matzo balls, they are a-comin'.

If you're curious: they're sinkers THEN floaters.
Last year we were Passover CHAMPS. We held a Seder at our apartment and invited many dear friends. I was a cooking fiend that weekend, churning out matzo balls like they were going out of style. I could give you Larry's Mom's/Nan's recipe... but then I'd have to kill you. Larry made a (delicious) brisket. There was charoset and fresh-made maror and even vegetarian options!

This year... well, we're skipping First Seder on Monday night because Larry has a Masons meeting he can't miss. So we're hosting Second Seder, the first in our new home, on Tuesday night. So far we have six people coming and we haven't even picked the menu yet.

This should be an interesting weekend. I need to get a jump on the matzo balls and the soup, because they taste better if they've had a couple of days to soak in the flavor. But I also need to finalize our menu and do the shopping. We should also probably, yanno, clean the house too. That would be good. Somehow we plan to squeeze all of this in while painting our bedroom.

Now, painting wouldn't be such a challenge if we didn't also have to paint our bed (that Larry made himself right after we moved in) and if we didn't have to paint the very awkard, very high catherdral ceiling walls in our bedroom either. Thank goodness Monday is Patriot's Day here in Massachusetts, a state-wide holiday that just happens to be when the Boston Marathon is run every year.

It's going to be a busy weekend for sure.

I do have a question for the masses, Jewish or otherwise: I have two vegetarians joining us this year. I'm making separate matzo balls without chicken schmaltz and a veggie-based broth for them, but I'm at a loss for a vegetarian entree for  them. Last year I made parmesan-stuffed portobello mushrooms, but I'd like to try something different this year. Any tips or ideas on some delicious vegetarian entrees for Passover?

Alright, I can't wrap this post up without sharing at least one recipe with you; I've been going on and on about food, so it's only fair. A little backstory to this recipe: Larry's uncle's ex-wife apparently made some delicious Passover layer cake with full sheets of matzo and delicious frosting. For the last 14 years, at every Passover Seder at his parents' house, I've been hearing about Dahlia's "amazing Passover cake." The funny thing is, no one had the recipe. So when she left the family, the recipe went with her. And still, this Passover cake gets mentioned at every Seder table with the Zolls. I have been mystified and intrigued by this "amazing Passover cake," and last year I made it my mission to find the recipe.

After getting descriptions from both Larry and his mom, I set about Googling and found this recipe from AllRecipes.com. I made it last year, and as Larry took the first bite, you could see the years of nostalgia flooding back to him. I had found Dahlia's cake.

So here now is a near-diabetic coma-inducing Passover dessert to make this week. I've tweaked the recipe I originally found so that it's basically guaranteed to send your glucose through the roof.

Dahlia (and Miriam's) 7-Layer Passover "Cake"
I realize it looks unassuming. It's basically just sheets of matzo soaked in alcohol layered with buttercream frosting. I know, I know and yes - it is that good.

I am full of sugar and joy.
You will need:
  • 3 1/2 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup butter softened (because margarine is a cop-out)
  • 1 cup superfine sugar (confectioners' sugar can work for this)
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3 egg whites
  • 8 matzo sheets
  • (750 mL) bottle kahlua, kahlua creme, Bailey's or Godiva liqueur (or... all of these.)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
 To make the frosting:
  1. Melt chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave by heating at 30 second intervals, and stirring between each one. When chocolate is almost melted, just remove from the microwave and stir until smooth. Set aside. You can also melt the chocolate with a double boiler if you have one (my preferred method and I don't have a double boiler; I do a smaller pot resting in a larger pot with about an inch of water in the bigger pot.)
  2. In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time until well blended.
  3. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites with a pinch of superfine sugar until stiff.
  4. Fold the melted chocolate into the creamed butter/sugar mixture, then fold in the egg whites.
To assemble the cake:
  1. Pour 1/4 of your potent potable into an 8x8 inch baking dish. Soak one of the matzo sheets briefly on both sides, then remove to a serving platter. If you soak too long, it will break apart and become hard to work with.
  2. Spread a thin layer of the chocolate cream over the soaked matzo. Continue soaking and layering the matzos and chocolate cream, leaving enough of the chocolate mixture to frost the sides when finished.
  3. Break up the process by having a sip of your potent potable from a separate glass. Add more alcohol to the dish as necessary for soaking.
  4. Optionally: press chopped nuts onto the sides, or sprinkle them on top for garnish. I'm not a fan of chocolate and nuts, so I skip this step.
  5. Refrigerate overnight to allow everything to soak in and become amazing.
  6. Upon eating, just try not to have your eyes roll back into your head with each bite. I dare you.

14 comments:

jamie cordisco said...

I went to a commitment ceremony for a jewish/vegan/gay couple a few years ago. they had the most amazing veggie raviolis in a white sauce. i truely recommend trying it!

Justine L said...

holy smokes. I'm at a loss for words, and I'm off to buy some matzoh. :)

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Pesach is the hardest holiday for vegetarians. By the 4th day, I'm usually rolling around on the floor... starving.

Keiko Zoll said...

@Lollipop - it JUST occurred to me that you can't eat pasta. Do you know the halachic stance on tofu? Is tofu okay during Passover?

Shorty said...

Keiko, tofu and beans are not allowed on passover, unless you are Sepharadic. (i'm not 100% sure on tofu, but beans for sure for the Sepharadim).

Some veggie entrees:
ratatouille is good

i also made: potato leek soup (basically, potatoes and leek, and boil the mmf out of them and blend)

I made this israeli veg casserole from a veg cookbook

Israeli Casserole
• 2 eggplant
• 2 onions chopped
• 1 small green papper chopped
• 1 clove garlic chopped
• 5 potatoes – boiled then diced
• 1.3 cups of veg stock
• 1 can tomatoes
• parsley
• Salt and pepper
Peel and slice eggplant and salt and let them sweat for 30 min. Wipe them then dice them up.
Sautee onion, pepper and garlic in oil.
Preheat oven to 350 F
Add eggplant and potato to veg mixture. Pour everything into baking dish add tomatoes and parsley and bake for 30-45 minutes.

CHag Sameach!

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so going to have to try to make that cake. YUMMY! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Chickenpig said...

That cake sounds divine. My eyes are rolling just thinking about it, so I would fail your challenge :)

Stinky said...

Wow this is a culture I know very little about. I realise that sounds very ignorant too.
Have no idea what the celebrations are/signify, but that cake sounds like utter yum

Kristin said...

The cake looks amazing...and, I was going to recommend a veggie lasagna until I saw your comment about pasta not being allowed.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what foods are traditionally served during Passover, but as I was vegan for a year, I have a number of good recipes... But the fact is you can go over to allrecipes.com and type in vegetarian_____ and it will find you something, with real people posting reviews on how good it is. Lots of good stuff out there! Hope you find something that will fit in with the rest of the dishes served! :)

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

Hey beautiful, I gave you an award on my blog.

Kate said...

Hi Keiko,

As an inspiration to all bloggers, myself included, I'd like to share with you my new blog. I hope that you and your readers come visit me :)

http://infertileinafertileland.blogspot.com/

oh and i love the idea of sharing recipes!