August 3, 2010

Is it October 20th yet?

Photo by Shrie L. Spangler via Flickr.
Um, what happened to July? When did it get to be August THIRD?!

As I've mentioned before, I work in higher education. (I have never mentioned where I work, but a quick Google search will give you the answer.) August is like our D-Day, our launch time, our craziest busiest time of the year. Freshman assignments go out. I have staff training, both professional and student staff, every day from next Monday until August 30. Our residence halls open for first-year students on September 1. We go from Orientation right into the start of classes and then my super huge 6-week long span of first year experience programs (dreamed up and organized by yours truly). There is basically a program happening every weekday night for the first six weeks of the semester for all of our first-year residents.With my promotion, creating an FYE (first-year experience) program fell onto my lap, and I'm pretty proud of what we've got lined up.

When I look at my calendar, however, I kind of want to throw up a little. Oh, and then there's that whole "buying a house" thing right in the middle of all of this.

Speaking of buying a house... looks like we're not going to be able to close next Thursday. No one's fault and nothing's really wrong, it's just that FHA takes a while to process things. We knew we'd be cutting it close, and it looks like we're just not going to make it in time. We're all set for the FHA loan approval and the bank underwriting of the loan. The issue is getting the actual property approved by the FHA. It requires a TON of information and paperwork, all of which our realtor, lawyer, and mortgage company have been furiously compiling. It's just frustrating knowing that there's nothing else we can do but wait.

Our deadline to be out of our current university-provided housing is still August 15th. You can see why I might be freaking out just a smidge. We've made back up arrangements to store our stuff and live with some friends for hopefully no more than a couple of weeks. What's making me nervous is that this is in the middle of the craziest part of the year for me (and it's not like I can even take Labor Day weekend to relax. Our office will be open for returning student move in.)

Don't forget to throw in the High Holidays (Rosh Hashanah is Sept. 8th and Yom Kippur is Sept. 18th), Larry's installation (he's an officer in the Masons), Night of Hope on Sept. 28th, and gearing up for RESOLVE of New England's Annual Conference in November (which I'm sure planning will ramp up in October)...

Oh! And having a social life and other things I'd like to do in my personal life, such as:

+ my first giveaway here at the blog (details this week);
+ starting up a fundraiser for RESOLVE of New England by selling some handmade jewelry which requires me to...
+ ...make the above mentioned jewelry;
+ start writing for Fertility Authority;
+ possibly start writing for Health Central;
+ catch up on the dozen or so half-written drafts of posts I have hanging around;
+ transcribe the dozen or more journals I found this weekend from my childhood, including my first diary at age 7 and the meatier, juicier tidbits from all of my high school journals.

I'm exhausted just typing all of this. And somehow, we'd like to squeeze in a vacation somewhere in there. When did my calendar decide to suddenly implode?

4 comments:

Kakunaa said...

Holy moly! You are one busy lady! But it is all such wonderful stuff :) and exciting! I hope the house comes through VERY soon!

Jo said...

We did an FHA loan on our first house, and indeed it does take a while. It can be frustrating to say the least!

You've got a busy calendar, my friend! However, you've also got super-organizational skills to pull you through.

Hang in there, October will be here before you know it!

Justine L said...

ugh. I feel your pain. Hope the house works out, at least, and you will have new digs before you know it!

Nicole said...

I feel you Keiko, as we have more and more years in Res Life, I'm starting to despise August. I hate losing my husband for a whole month.