November 12, 2009

Show & Tell 4: Japan

It's time for another Show and Tell post! Show and Tell is brought to you by Mel over at Stirrup Queens. Make sure to go and check out what the other kids are showing this week!

I promised to show off some pictures from our trip to Japan last month, so here they are! We spent two  weeks in Japan from October 10-24, staying with my uncle for most of the time. He, my Aunt, and my Obachan (grandmother) were incredibly gracious hosts. We managed to visit eight cities (Nara, Osaka, Tokyo, Kobe, Arima, Iga-Ueno, Hiroshima, Kyoto) in just thirteen days!  It was quite simply the most amazing trip of my life: beautiful, spiritual, renewing. relaxing. We took over 1300 pictures and nearly two  hours of video. Here are some of my favorite shots from the trip:

This is Dōtonbori in Osaka. It's crazy busy, loud, and boisterous. We liked Osaka. as it reminded us of Boston in terms of lots of the bars and restaurant scene, with lots of intriguing people. Also, the guy in the suit? That's my uncle! This is one of my favorite pics from the whole trip.


This is Tosen Shrine in Arima, in the mountains north of Kobe. Arima was probably our favorite city; it's a resort town with hot springs all over the mountain that are pumped to the various resorts. The shrine was an accidental find while wandering the city; I found out later that the Shinto gods believed to be housed here not only protect the city, but are fertility gods as well. This shrine is often venerated by childless couples hoping to conceive. Go fig, huh?


This is the A-Bomb Dome in Hiroshima. What a profound, beautiful, haunting day. The Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum were probably one of the most humbling experiences of my life. This A-Bomb Dome, originally a government building, has been perpetually maintained in its original ruined state since the day of the bombing in 1944. One of the few structures to survive the bombing, it is officially the last structure still standing from that day.



These are two incredible photos are from the Kurama no Hi-Matsuri in Kurama, just north of Kyoto. It's a fire festival where men, wearing nothing more than loin cloths and sashes (pictured top), carry giant torches - anywhere from 15-18ft in length weighing more than 150 lbs each - up and down the mountain in an attempt to call the Shinto god down from the mountain. These giant torches are then made into a huge bonfire (pictured bottom). This festival has been done every year for the last 1300 years. It was the most primal thing I've ever experienced and we feel really lucky to be witnessed it first-hand.


You might recognize these torii (gates) from Memoirs of a Geisha. These are from Fuishimi Inari Taisha, just south of Kyoto where more than 10,000 vermillion torii snake their way around the mountain to a summit shrine honoring the Shinto god of rice, wine, business and prosperity, Inari. While we didn't make it to the summit, it was fun making our ascent through the dizzying orange labyrinth of gates. And the lady on the left? That would be me :)

What's the coolest vacation or most relaxing trip you've ever been on?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures. My best trip was to italy. I lived there 4 months in college. I have many framed photos from that time.

Susan said...

What beautiful pictures! Looks like an amazing trip!

My favorite vacations are those with family and friends. Doesn't really matter where, just so we are together.

babygaga said...

I have always wanted to go to Japan, but I wan´t first to see some of south America, I however love Asia, I have travelled to India, Malaysia, Singaproe, Thailand, PHilippines and Hong Kong :)

Life Happens said...

Great pictures! Seems like it was an incredible trip for you guys. Thanks for sharing.

My favorite vacation, thus far, was when I went to Vietnam a few years ago. I hadn't been back for 20 yrs and I decided to go back 9by myself). It was the most humbling experience ever. I hope to return there again, next time with my hubby.

Lynn said...

Those are some amazing pics! I really hope we get to visit Japan someday! I've wanted to go for a long time. Glad you had such a great time!

The best vacation we ever had was spending a week in London. We got to see so many things! It was really amazing!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic trip.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I lived in Japan many years ago, in a town between Osaka and Kobe. You've brought back some good memories!

My favorite place there was Kinkakuji in Kyoto. I loved visiting there in different seasons.

Hajimemashite!

Jen said...

ok, trying this again. I came by early, but was interrupted. I love your photos, simply amazing! what a beautiful trip

Quiet Dreams said...

Great photos...sounds like an amazing trip.

..al said...

How very beautiful, Miriam!

I am glad that you loved this so...watching the A-bomb dome kind of hit me...I understand what it means by feeling 'humbled'.

My fave vacay was the recent Bangkok - Singapore trip we took. I especially loved the food in Bangkok, and our Sentosa Island experience.