December 29, 2009

A letter to MA State Senator Scott Brown

I received an action alert email from a donor agency that Ari and I have been using to browse donor profiles. We haven't selected a donor, but it's a nice exercise in getting us at least mentally prepared for DE/IVF. The email linked to an article in yesterday's Boston Globe, where Senator Scott Brown, currently running for Republicans in next week's special election for the late Kennedy's US Senate seat, has said that he intends to propose legislation that would no longer require MA insurance companies to cover IVF. The key paragraph from the article is below:

Brown also said he was filing legislation in Massachusetts to ease regulations on insurance companies, which he said have driven up costs. He said companies should not be required to cover so many different medical services, including in vitro fertilization.Coakley's campaign this afternoon attacked the bill, saying it would allow the removal of mandated insurance coverage for things such as mammograms, minimum maternity stays for new mothers, and hospice care for seniors.

As usual, this got me fired up, and I fired off an email to Senator Brown directly. If you live in MA, I urge you to do the same: his email is Scott.P.Brown@state.ma.us.

Dear Senator Brown,

I recently read in yesterday's Globe (http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/12/brown_health_ca.html) that you intend to propose legislation that would reduce the amount of coverage currently required to be provided by Massachusetts insurance companies, particularly with regard to the coverage of in-vitro fertilization (IVF). Senator Brown, I cannot express enough how detrimental this would be not only your constituents, but to the greater scope of infertility treatment coverage in the nation. Massachusetts has perhaps some of the most comprehensive health care regulations regarding infertility treatment in the nation, and to revoke that coverage would be devastating to thousands of couples and families in this state. The cost of IVF can approach upwards of $30,000 for a single cycle, and for a couple that's counting on their insurance company to cover their clinical costs to suddenly lose that security mid-cycle is not only financially disastrous, but emotionally destructive as well.

As an elected official in Massachusetts, infertility affects over 150,000 of your constituents, according to the CDC’s 2002 National Survey of Family Growth. Yet, this isn’t something that we would necessarily write to you about. For many of us, we won’t even share these concerns outside of our closest family and friends. Some of us never find the words or the ways to share it with others, and live with a deeply stressful, private struggle. I, however, have chosen to remain silent no longer, and have channeled my fear and frustration into advocacy for an issue about which I deeply care.

Senator Brown, allow me to share my story with you, so that you may understand why insurance coverage for IVF is so important. Nine months ago, I began having symptoms wildly atypical for an otherwise healthy 26 year old woman in her childbearing years. My husband and I had no plans for children until a few years from now, once we were more settled financially. Taking the proactive approach about these strange symptoms, I sought out my doctor, who delivered a bombshell of a diagnosis: premature ovarian failure (POF). Formerly known as premature menopause, my reproductive system as essentially shut down, in a process I shouldn't be experiencing for another two decades. At 26 years old, I had lost my ability to be able to have my own children. At 26 years old, I was married for just over a year and had no plans to even start trying to have children for another two to three years, and I was told I would never be able to achieve pregnancy naturally. The only hope of building a family, I was told, as I sat there speechless and shell-shocked in my doctor's office, was to use donor eggs in conjunction with IVF or to pursue adoption.

It has been a wild year as my husband and I have been completely rethinking everything we thought we knew about how we would build a family together. Just days after my diagnosis, my husband was laid off. We moved quickly to transfer insurance coverage through my employer. As we began researching our options further, IVF has appeared more fiscally lucrative to our situation, particularly on one income right now. Dollar for dollar, IVF and domestic adoption cost about the same, in the $30,000 range. What has made IVF particularly attractive is that currently in the state of Massachusetts, that cost is nearly cut in half thanks to the state-mandated infertility coverage regulations.

Every decision my husband and I have made about our careers in the last nine months has been centered on the fact that we need to remain in Massachusetts, because of the very coverage that's in place. Senator Brown, if you propose legislation that would discontinue coverage for IVF, I simply cannot afford to have children, IVF or otherwise. This legislation would take away my ability to a basic human right: the right to build a family. The next best solution for us would be to uproot and move to another state with the next best health care regulations in place (in this case, New Jersey or Connecticut). In this economy, looking for a new job isn't easy, to put it plainly: just ask my husband, who is still unemployed after nearly a year since being laid off. How can this be something you endorse - legislation that denies individuals the right to build families or drives them out of the state to find appropriate coverage?

Senator Brown, I implore you not pursue this change in legislation. As a candidate for the Senate seat left by the late Honorable Ted Kennedy, it seems contrary to the legacy of progressive health care reform and support left in his passing.

In the Boston Globe article you state, "My primary responsibility is to ensure that the people of Massachusetts get the best value for their dollar." How can this be possible when you intend to propose cutting the coverage upon which the people of Massachusetts depend? Perhaps your rationale is that these procedures, like mammograms and minimum maternity stay lengths (as you also intend to propose coverage reductions), aren't relevant to the entire population of the state. Perhaps infertile women and couples, women at risk for breast cancer, and new mothers make up only a small portion of your constituents, despite the fact that 3.2 million women make up 52% of the state’s population. A reduction in these vital services is quite plainly cutting off the nose despite the face.

Senator Brown, I urge you to reconsider your position on health care coverage reduction in the state of Massachusetts, and I encourage you to contact RESOLVE, the National Infertility Association (www.resolve.org) or its regional chapter here in Waltham, RESOLVE of the Bay State (www.resolveofthebaystate.org) for more information about why infertility coverage matters. I also welcome the opportunity to discuss this issue personally with you and your staff.

Senator Brown, I don't want to feel like my chances of having a family are being taken away from me for a second time.

Best,
Miriam

8 comments:

Sara Jean said...

very well written. I always try to write letters to lawmakers and my stupid temper gets in the way and then my husband has to steal them from the mailbox so I don't send a letter to someone important pointing out the fact that they are a blankety-blank-blank! I really hope that things work out for you and this legislation is not passed....we in Iowa have been living with this horrible coverage since before my diagnosis and I would never wish this on anyone. Best wishes and (hugs) Sara

Elana Kahn said...

That's an incredible letter, and if that doesn't move him to dismiss this idiotic move, then he's a jackass. (Well, he was one anyway for even thinking about taking away our infertility coverage, but you know...)

Anonymous said...

It's a great letter. Did you mean 'cutting off the nose to spite the face'?

Otter said...

Excellent letter- well written, educated, and thoughtful. I think that it may be worth it for you to investigate where Snt. Brown stands on gay marriage. Find out if he's one of those "marriage is between a man and a woman" people and if he believes its b/c only a "man and a woman can make babies". If this is indeed his viewpoint, then I think you should call him out publicly on it: that he is against gay marriage on the grounds of reproduction and is simultaneously against reproductive services for the kinds of married couples he does support. I dunno if I'm explaining it right via this comment, but I think you can see where I'm going with this. (If you think this is wild, you should hear my argument about why the whole public-option-paying-for-abortions-should-kill-health-care-reform argument is totally moot.)

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL blog and letter to Brown. IMPERATIVE.

You are doing a wonderful service to the world and I am so glad I found your blog through twitter.

I AM a result of IVF and I have a child on the way. And that is after a very long bout with infertility. Now there will not only be a dream coming true but a new life added to this world we live in. It's a miracle.

My insurance did NOT cover IVF and finances have been so tight because of the expense. It's shocking - the costs.

NO hopeful family deserves the added stress of the cost on top of trying to conceive a child safely.

Anyway. My name is Beth and I applaud you. If you have any questions about IVF, feel free to find me on twitter @ theivfgirl. My blog is called http://www.ivfgirl.com. I talk about the experience and offer some tips (eat pineapple!)

Best of luck to you. Happy 2010!

AJ said...

great letter. Of course the other key thing is to vote for the person who does represent your needs and interests. And MA would have the first female senator. About time don't you think.

Elisabeth said...

Hello!

My name is Elisabeth, and I am an infertility / repeated pregnancy loss "veteran". You can read a little bit about me and my experiences in my blog: drhousewife.blogspot.com . I am completing a PhD in Counseling Psychology, and my dissertation is focused upon the impact of infertility on marriage. I believe strongly that there is a need for better support services for men and women who are undergoing IF diagnosis and treatment, and my hope is that this study will aid in the development of such services.

I am contacting you after stumbling across your blog. I am recruiting participants for my study, and wanted to invite you and your husband to take part. All that would be involved would be the completion of an online survey, that would take approximately 20 minutes. All couples who complete the surveys will receive a voucher good for a pair of free movie tickets at a Regal Cinemas.

Please let me know if you are interested by emailing me at UTInfertilityResearch@gmail.com . I have included the criteria for participation below.

Feel free to pass information along to anyone you know who might be interested in contributing to this study.

Best of luck to you!
Elisabeth


Member of a married, heterosexual couple
Both you and your spouse are between the ages of 20 – 45
You do not have any biological or adopted children living in your home
You are not currently pregnant
Either you, your spouse, or both has received an infertility diagnosis
You have received treatment for infertility in the past six months, or plan to do so in the next six months
Both you and your partner are willing to participate & have access to the internet

Anonymous said...

I truly sympathize with you and will keep you and your husband in my prayers that you will be blessed with a child soon. As for your post , however, you are misinformed as to what Mr. Brown proposes. If you have the time, go to his website to read what he actually proposed, which is that people who purchase private health insurance should not be required to pay for coverage, like ivf, they neither want nor need simply because such coverage is mandated by the government. I believe if the government wants to mandate coverage it should offer a government sponsored plan that includes that coverage and individuals desiring that coverage can participate in the government sponsored plan.