March 11, 2010

Stroking ego in the name of medical care.

I call bullshit.

So I got a second opinion about my thyroid & POF last month, and it's basically the same. Next steps: birth control for hormone replacement therapy, up the thyroid meds. Pretty S.O.P. So I send Dr. G an email asking about whether I need to schedule an appt to get a scrip for said BP or can he just call it in. He then sends me a rather terse email back:

If I understand your recent correspondence correctly, you are no longer a patient of mine and will not be coming here for care any longer.  Under those circumstances, it would be inappropriate for me to prescribe a new medication for you  whose effects, positive or ill , i will not be able to monitor.  Your next care giver should do that.  But, in answer to the theoretical question, yes, birth control pills and adjustment of your thyroid rx is a good route to take.

So I've had to stroke his ego a bit and confirm that no, I just went for a second opinion and that yes, I'd still like to be his patient. This is probably the most ingratiating thing I've ever had to do: my doctor thinks I've broken up with him and now I need to come crawling back to him. It's highly likely there was a miscommunication b/t our practice's office staff and Dr. G (it wouldn't be the first time) and that when I had my medical records sent over to second opinion doc, it was construed as seeking another provider... even though I explicitly told them I was seeking a second opinion.

I shouldn't have to grovel to receive appropriate and timely medical care.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about this Miriam. I used to go to Dr. G, and well, I DID break up with him and it was the best decision I've ever made! I found so many things about him objectionable. I know he's supposed to be 'brilliant' but...hmmm...it didn't do much for me.
Hoping that you can ditch him for good before too long! Boston is chuck full of other doctors..you shouldn't feel bad about getting a second opinion (or going somewhere else entirely!) I went straight to Boston IVF after ditching Dr. G, and well, I'm really glad I did.
wishing you the best, Zara

Nine said...

That is absolutely unprofessional. I'd be mad as a wet hen if a doc said/did that to me. I second your call of BS!

Justine L said...

Had almost an identical experience. SUCKS. I'm glad that you're finding a new doc ...