February 26, 2010

Second verse, same as the first.

Got a second opinion re: thyroid and ovarian function yesterday. This doc basically confirmed everything, and actually told me I was right to trust my instincts about not taking the new 137mcg dose of Synthroid back in December. My sticking to the 125 mcg Levoxyl has paid off, as my numbers already show; he said it just didn't make sense that when my TSH was in the basement, Dr. G increased my dose. He should have either lowered it, or left it the same, according to 2nd opinion doc.

He did state that Dr. G's rather periphery test of my adrenal antibodies should be monitored more closely. With widespread autoimmune dysfunction (thyroid and ovarian), there's a good chance I could develop anti-adrenal antibodies. Which, quite plainly, would suck. A lot. So I just need to be mindful of sudden weight loss, loss of  appetite, and dizziness - key indicators. I might never never develop anti-adrenal antibodies. Or it could happen a month from now. Either way, he said I seem pretty in tune with myself, so I just need to remain vigilant. His suggestion was to move to hormone replacement therapy as soon as possible, and to not be surprised if my thyroid med is nearly doubled in dosage. (The estrogen binds to chemicals in the Levoxyl formula, so I need to take a ton more so my body can actually absorb the thyroid hormone.)

So, I suppose the next step is making an appt with Dr. G to get a birth control scrip.

Other news as of late... Ari got a job! This is big, big news, as of yesterday. He's negotiated the final number and everyone is happy with it, so there you go :) After almost a year of unemployment (March 30th would have been a year), Ari's got a job with a company that he thinks he'll be very happy with. I'm really excited for him. He starts on March 15.

No comments: