April 20, 2010

National Infertility Awareness Week 2010

This Saturday kicks off RESOLVE's National Infertility Awareness Week. Last year, I was ballsy and decided to post about it on my Facebook page. My status: 1 out of every 8 couples is coping with infertility... and I'm one of them. Learn more about National Infertility Awareness Week. I had three friends: a former coworker's wife, and two friends from middle and high school message me on Facebook to tell me they were going through infertility too, and how grateful they were for posting that as my status. I had waffled on posting it- it was up for a few hours, then I deleted it. In the hours it was down was when I received those messages, so I put it back up.

This year, I plan to post it with pride. Not because I'm proud that I'm infertile, but that I'm proud to advocate for an important healthcare issue. And because if my story can help just one other person, then that's all that matters.

I posit a challenge to each of you: out yourself this week. Share your story, your pain, your fears, your hopes. Lay it out there for your family, your friends- better yet, your state and federal representatives. Be it Facebook, Twitter - maybe even an e-card: put it out there. Give a face to infertility. Give a face to infertility advocacy.

This year, become a voice for action.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really wish I had the courage to tell our story and post on facebook, give my blog address to family and friends or even say it in person. I just don't have the strength yet :(

Keiko Zoll said...

Don't worry azmamma- it's not easy at all to out your infertility. And just because you don't doesn't mean you're not strong. There's still plenty you can do to promote to NIAW- check out the RESOLVE website!

Anonymous said...

Thank for posting this. Great blog, can't wait to read more. I'm your newest follower from IComLeavWe.

-K
http://mypottyseat.blogspot.com/

Katie and Howard said...

I will post about it on facebook. Thanks for the challenge. :)