June 28, 2010

Anyone else hear that ticking sound?

EDIT: Thank you to whoever submitted my good news to the LFCA this weekend! Much appreciated :)

Finally home after a crazy busy weekend. We spent Saturday in the hospital with my sister and her husband, oohing and aaahing over my little darling niece and watching the USA v. Ghana game. It was crazy to realize that we were meeting a brand new human being who wasn't even 24 hours old yet! My sister was definitely tired and sore, and my brother-in-law was quite the doting father. They all look so absolutely happy to finally meet the little lady they've been waiting for nine months.

There is infinite joy to be found in a growing family. But then that old green-eyed IF monster rears her ugly head from time to time. In these moments of happiness are also these deep, instinctual longings, something I thought I'd squelched a bit. This highly emotional weekend certainly brought up a lot of emotional baggage from the last year. It's this yo-yo-ing that gets to me more than anything.

Friday, I could hardly sit still. We all knew that my sister was getting induced first thing Friday morning, so we were all waiting patiently for updates. My mom drove up there to meet them at the hospital and offer moral support from the waiting room. I got the phone call when she was induced, when they broke her water, and when she got the epidural. My mom filled me in about about 6pm when it was go time. Larry and I had 3 home tours scheduled for Friday night (and all three were a bust... I don't know if we're too picky or we need to start looking in a different area). I didn't hear anything for two hours; I was starting to get worried. I finally called my mom at about 9pm and she told me the good news: Willow was here, my sister was fine, and I was an Auntie!

At first, relief - I was so glad nothing was wrong. And then excitement - I couldn't wait to meet her this weekend. And then all of that baggage that comes with infertility, all of those feelings I'd thought I'd really worked through and processed. Like every birth announcement, there's a rush of joy followed by this overwhelming jealousy and self-loathing. I got up from where I was sitting and marched into the bathroom, overcome with emotion. Larry followed right behind: "You don't have to hide from me." I cried, I rambled, I was so excited and embarrassed with myself for feeling this range of conflicting emotions. After a few minutes, I was fine. It was just a total emotional overload for a few minutes, but I was worried how I might be at the hospital the next day.

I was fine, actually. Larry was too. We were so happy to meet our niece and so glad to see just how happy Jasmine and Neal were. The only thing that made me uncomfortable was seeing a nurse come in with a needle in hand for some vaccine for my sister. I high-tailed it out of the room: Keiko don't do needles. But it was a lovely visit and the love that filled the room was really just beautiful.

And then, on the ride back to Larry's parents' house... I started hearing it: this incessant ticking in the background of everything. Even though we're pretty much decided on pursuing adoption, it was like my uterus and ovary just started screaming at me: "Baby. Now." This often happens in baby scenarios like showers or after friends announce their pregnancies. As much as I've resolved that yes, I can still be just as much of a woman without experiencing pregnancy or birth, it doesn't mean that my biological clock shuts off. It had been dormant for months now, and all of a sudden my niece's birth wound it right back up again.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just frustrating and annoying. I'm daydreaming about names and nursery colors. I see these big round bellies on women walking down the street and think to myself: I would look cute with a little bump like that. I'm thinking about what time of year it would be nice to be four months or nine months' pregnant, or what zodiac sign our baby would be if I were pregnant right now. It's this crazy, hyper-feminine alter ego that crawls up out of the depths of this otherwise confident, assertive woman and starts to henpeck away at my brain. Gah! Enough already!

And yesterday, we went to a wedding of very dear friends of ours. Larry was in the wedding- what a beautiful ceremony and evening. We were surprised at the emphasis on procreation at the ceremony (I think the bride and groom were just as surprised as well!) - there were a few moments where Larry and I exchanged knowing glances at one another. A few of the blessings and wishes for the couple and their future children just landed very differently to our ears. It's a marked difference from Jewish weddings, where wishes for children aren't typically mentioned. Thankfully, a night of libations, dancing, and merriment drowned out that relentless tick tock.

...but in those quiet moments, I can hear it, feel that butterfly in my stomach idyllic hopefulness and excitement, and feel a deep longing in my chest. That Biological Clock - she is one harsh mistress.


Photo by Alvimann via MorgueFile.

12 comments:

Pix said...

Oh yes! I completely understand (and hear) that ticking sound. For me, it just showed up about 6 months ago (although I'm nearly 42. Guess I'm a late bloomer!) but it came in like a herd of elephants. Loud and angry! It doesn't take away from your happiness for your family...just so sorry that it always comes hand in hand with that. Big hugs! And happy ICLW!

Pixie
Cheese Curds and Kimchi

Jo said...

I know all too well the conflicting emotions that come with becoming an Auntie! When my sister's daughter was born, I loved her instantly. But that didn't stop me from also being insanely jealous. Even now, watching my sister parent her daughter, I have to clamp down on that green-eyed monster on occasion. And you are absolutely right -- knowing in your HEAD that adoption is a wonderful path for family building does not automatically shut down our basic human drive to procreate. If only our bodies would respond to these desires, hmmm?

Big hugs,
Jo

cagrlasu said...

Thank God I'm not the only one that feels this way. I found myself nodding my head when I read your post. Especially the wedding ceremony. When we watch our wedding DVD I can't help but think how naive I was to think having a family would be easy. Little did I know that 4 1/2 years later we would have 7 miscarriages. Thankfully we were blessed with a successful adoption but I still so badly want to have that baby bump. I often imagine myself looking in the mirror wearing a cute maternity top and touching my belly. Then poof! Back to reality. I applaud you for your courage and strength to go see your sister and your niece in the hospital. How hard that must have been for you. Sending you big hugs!

Jonelle said...

The not so mysterious ticking noise? Yes I hear it too on occasion. The worst is after all the hype of pysching myself out that maybe I might want to get back onto the TTC wagon I soon come to realize that the odds of us conceiving naturally are so low its not even funny.

I completely understand about the conflicting emotions that come with a relative's or friend's pregnancy. My best friend is pregnant and she is a fellow IF sister. And while I am happy for her, I'm also sad for us.

Yes, what is with all the procration talk at Bridal Showers and Weddings? Thats all they seemed to talk about at the Bridal Shower I went to on Saturday and all I kept thinking was "that's if they can have children." Leave it to me to be the realist.

Congrats, Auntie!

Lisa said...

Hi Keiko,

Congratulations to you and your family on your newest addition. Willow is a beautiful name.

There's no need to be apologetic about your feelings; of course you want what you sister has, and that doesn't mean you are a bad person. It isn't as if you are wishing you had a baby instead of her.

Maybe the arrival of your niece and that ticking sound in your head and body will crystallize the pros and cons of adoption for you and Larry. Don't push the decision-making away; pay attention to what you feel and let it guide you. Unfortunately, one of the many down-sides of infertility is the length of time it takes to bring that baby home, whether after fertility treatment or adoption.

You know I'm in your corner. If there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know.
Lisa

P.S. Good luck with house-hunting. When you walk in to a house and feel that it's the right one, you'll know.

..al said...

Congrats on becoming an aunt. Willow is very pretty.

I can feel you on that tick-tock. I wonder how many times I have been on that spot myself.

Kir said...

I still feel those feelings, conflicting with one another all the time.

but when you are where you are, when your sister welcomes her daughter, I think that it would be natural to feel the way you do sweetie. To hear that clock and have that butterfly near your belly & in your heart.

I pray all the time for your success, for that clock to tick away the time of your pregnancy or adoption instead of ticking away your time of waiting.

I am glad that you sound happy. willow is gorgeous, Larry is attentive and your family is growing. These are good times..and better ones are coming my friend.

xo

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. I also hear that ticking sound every once in a while, especially at family events and occasions where there is a baby present or when a friend or family member has a baby. I go back and forth from being completely happy for the parents to being completely sad that it hasn't happened for us yet... and wondering if it ever will. I've gotten pretty skilled at controlling my emotions (at least in front of other people), but I have zero control over that ticking clock.

KT said...

Tick-tock :)

Michelle D said...

Yah we had some "get on it and have a kid" comments with our wedding. Right after my POF diagnosis :P I wish the world didn't think it was all so simple. Infertility sure gives you a different perspective. As to the house...there is no such thing as too picky unless you are looking for years. It took us months to find the right one and we love every bit of it. Good luck with everything.

Brooke said...

Hi! First time reader, blog friend to Pixie:) We are adopting from Korea. We have two bio boys and I have experienced such severe PPD after both births that we thought it would be a bit safer to adopt..I have experienced that horrible green eyed monster on more than one occasion. Don't get me wrong...We are over the moon about adopting...especially that we will finally be able to love on alittle girl:) BUT...I get so jealous of people that are able to just bing out kids naturally and feel good mentally. I fantasize of being able to enjoy that newborn stage, being able to bond with that little one. My sis is one of those people that has four under the age of 7 and it has been very difficult on me that I am the one that has to deal with hormone issues. Anyways, just thought I'd share the fact that even though I do have 2 bio kids I still get pissed off, I still get envious, and I still want to conceive and birth naturally. Why? Sometimes I think my pride is involved, sometimes I think it's motherly instinct. Whatever it is, those feelings suck and I'm sorry you have had to deal with them also. I've got yer back sista!:) P.S. your sis has great taste in names:)

saralayne42 said...

*wiping the tears away*

My niece will be a year old in two weeks. I worried so much before she was born that I would be unable to love her, unable to bond with this child. She brings me so much joy now that it seems silly to have felt that way.
Bless you Keiko - your blog keeps my head above water

Sara