August 15, 2010

In transition

I'm sitting here in the parking lot of the U-Haul store, waiting to be picked up, the short straw in an unfortunate shell game of 1 car, 3 people, and only 2 seats in said car.

All of our worldly possessions, save for a few suitcases and some miscellany, are packed away in a storage facility 20 miles from here. I'm feeling rather vulnerable being so far from our stuff.

I mean, it's just stuff. But it's ALL of our stuff. This feeling of transience does not sit well with me, being in limbo and knowing we are so close to closing on the house. We have infinitely wonderful friends: friends that helped us pack, load and unload the truck, and of course those who are letting us crash with them.

We had to be out today. And closing is so close we can taste it. But right now, it's a very strange feeling to be unable to truly call one place "home."



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

8 comments:

KT said...

In the past when we moved, we have always be fortunate with a bridge loan and had both houses for a week or so...made things easy. With the current economy and changes in banks/loans...I wonder if this option even exists anymore.

Hopefully your days of being "homeless" go quickly!

Kristin said...

Moving really sucks. I hope the closing and the rest of your move goes smoothly.

Justine L said...

This happened to us, too ... I remember how unsettling it felt. I hope that everything goes smoothly and that you have a new home soon!

My Bumpy Journey said...

Good luck girl. Moving sucks in and of itself. I can only imagine how it is without your stuff for a long time. I hope this is a speedy process for you.

Cherish said...

We've had that gap too when moving to a different state. It's horribly unsettling. Hang in there!

Three Cats and a Baby said...

Just seeing those boxes gives me flashbacks to how much moving sucks!!

I hope you are able to get into your new house very soon!

Good Timing said...

Hi! I just wanted to pop in and say hello because one of my friends shared your What IF video with me and it resonated with me on so many levels. Thank you for sharing that with everyone. Also, when I came here to leave you a note I thought it was funny that you are moving right now because I am too and it is very stressful! We don't even have a new house to move to yet - we are moving in with the ILs until we can find a place. Good luck with the move and I hope it all goes well!

Kir said...

I understand, just being in limbo feels so isolating, even if you know it's temporary. I hope every day is one step closer and you and your stuff are happily reunited very soon.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!! thinking of you
xo