August 8, 2010

Packing Up

Just  a smattering of our stuff.
It's a weird thing- moving. On one hand, it's a great opportunity to finally purge the junk. It's awesome to be moving (eventually, details after the cut) into our first house. But even though we are moving onto bigger and more exciting things and I am over the moon to finally be moving out of student housing...

This whole moving thing makes me sad.

It's weird packing up your life, reflecting on the things about which you've forgotten, fiercely protective of those little knick knacks that mean nothing to anyone else but you, happy to be rid of cluttered frustrations. It's hard too, because we associated this particular living situation with such a range of emotions. When we moved in, we saw this as a chance at stability, after moving 4 times in the 14 months prior. Six months later, my husband was laid off and I found out I was infertile. It's only since January that things have finally started swinging back up on this pendulum. We've lived here nearly two years to the day.

There's a lot more than just pots, pans, and books packed into these boxes.

Nostalgia, noun. From the Greek nostos meaning "returning home" and algos meaning "ache, pain."
As we pack up and reminisce, waxing nostalgic, we feel those aches, those memories we turn over in our minds and surfacing in our hearts.

. . .

We were supposed to close this Thursday. Sadly, FHA is taking a long time to approve the property. We as buyers have been approved for the FHA loan, but they have to actually approve the condo itself, which apparently takes a while. We have to be out of our current apartment on Sunday. We're putting 98% of our stuff into storage and have wondrously generous friends with an extra bedroom who are letting us stay with them until we close. We are optimistic to close sometime by the end of August and moving into the house by September.

This all of course is happening during the busiest time of the year for me at work. It's a little nerve-wracking. That being said, I will most likely be MIA from the blogosphere for much of the month. Between moving twice, adjusting to a commute for the first time in 3 years, and working 60 hour weeks, I'm not sure that I'm going to be lil' Miss Social Media & Blogging. That's why I'm not doing ICLW this month... I just won't be able to keep up.

In the interim, I do have my first Big IF Bloggy Giveaway happening all month! Check out the turquoise blue badge up on the right sidebar for more info. Entries can be submitted up until August 31, so enter today! Lots of great stuff up for grabs.

. . .

So there you have it. Moving is happening, whether I'm really ready for it or not. I'll be MIA - Missing in August. And the Big IF Bloggy Giveaway. Ciao, folks. I'll check in when I can.

6 comments:

Kakunaa said...

Good luck! Moving is so often bittersweet, isn't it?

The Infertility Doula said...

I've grown up moving around. i never gets easy. I might be in a similar situation very soon (possibly moving) and what I dread the most is to have to face all of my piles of IF folders, schedules, etc.

Good luck this month and I hope you can close very soon. We'll miss you during ICLW.

Justine L said...

Best wishes on the new place! Don't forget to BREATHE. :)

Kir said...

I feel the same way, moving on is such a good and natural thing, but it stings in those first days.

I will miss you, but sending my very best feelings and wishes for a good move, a happy commute and a month of GOOD STUFF..

thinking of you!!!

Michelle D said...

Congrats on the home and good luck on the moving. I hope it'll be a good start for you both full of new great memories :)

My Endo Journey said...

Just saw your video and wanted to come by and say hello. Thanks for putting that out there! :)