October 22, 2010

"You should write a book."

Photo by Erik Stabile via Flickr.
I get this a lot. I'm not a person who handles compliments very well and despite what you may read here, I can be almost painfully shy sometimes.

But a lot of folks read my blog and go: "Keiko, you should really write a book."

Okay... sure!

So... how the hell do I DO that? I don't think I'll have any trouble actually writing a book, but it's the publishing process that intimidates me the most. I am basically clueless. I've read Mel's awesome DIY MFA book publishing series. It's a little overwhelming - I'm not going to lie. And since I want to write non-fic, apparently I only write part of it and then query it to publishers who tell me how to finish it, I suppose. It's a little confusing. And then there's that whole agent thing. Oh, and having some credibility by being published somewhere other than you own blog, and even better, getting paid for it.

I guess I'm just overwhelmed by all of this. There are so many fine bloggers turned authors out there: Melissa (Navigating the Land of IF), Pamela (Silent Sorority), Lu (Inadequate Conception - being released soon), and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting here. I certainly don't want to imply that they had an easier time of writing their books and getting them published simply because they are also bloggers. I'm sure it's entirely possible for me to do the same, and just as challenging. It will continue to get more challenging as more IF bloggers turned published authors begin to crowd out the market.

It's the enormity of the task that keeps me from moving forward. Sometimes it's just easier to walk away from the opportunity entirely that to take a risk and fail. I know myself. I'm a classic INFP - this is how we work.

NaNoWriMo is coming up: a month-long challenge to write a 50,000 word novel. I'm half wondering if I should participate if only to get my ass in gear. NaNoWriMo is specifically for fiction, but as every keeps saying I should write a book, maybe I'll sign up, write my non-fic book on infertility, conversion, food, or whatever - and just not submit it for verification.

Sometimes I doubt myself (shocker) and wonder if it's valid to write something when our story is presently unfinished. The more confident part of me says to write all the raw emotional stuff now and worry about the ending when the time comes. "You won't have time to write the whole damn thing once you're chasing kid(s) around the house!" my always Rational Brain reminds me.

So yeah, I need to write a book. I've got plenty of words in my head that need a home on some page, somewhere. I think I will sign up for NaNoWriMo. And hell, maybe I'll even dabble in writing some fiction. Anyone else out there participating in NaNoWriMo? I need motivation. I need someone to stay on my ass.

Kind of like Stewie helps out his good friend, Brian:


11 comments:

Journeywoman said...

I'm participating in NaNoWriMo. Feel free to email me.

Kristin said...

Good luck...I'd love to write a book by you.

Patience said...

Good Luck! I would totally read a book you wrote... :)

Lisa said...

Keiko,

It doesn't matter how many books exist on a subject, only that your book has a unique voice, not only in the story but in the delivery. Everything I know about you tells me that you have what it takes. Don't worry about perfection; that's what editors are for. If you really want to write a book, just get started and see how it goes.

Lisa (Your Great Life - ICLW #63)

Jess said...

I totally dont think it matters if you write Non-Fic for Nanowrimo.. they're pretty awesome over there. I did last year and will be doing it again this year!

Justine L said...

Nanowrimo ... I always forget until it's about half way over! I have the same problem with blogging, actually ... I feel like there are so many great bloggers out there ... what do I have to say that other people are going to want to read? The beauty of blogging, of course, is that at least I don't have to sell it to publishers who might not give a hoot about what I've written ... I publish it whether people want to read it or not. But I think the secret is twofold: first, committing (which Nanowrimo is great for), and second, seeing it as a series of small tasks. When I wrote my dissertation, someone told me, oh, it's just five or six 25 page papers. I'd done that before; I knew I could do that, in pieces. You can't approach tasks like this in their entirety ... sort of like you can't eat a 10 course meal all at once. Small bites, and luxuriate in each course. (Now, if I could only take my own advice!)

Browniris said...

If you are considering writing a book, I think you should go for it! GL!!!

Happy ICLW!

daega99 said...

Good luck with getting the book that inside of you out to the rest of the world!

ICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

lady pumpkin said...

IF + food + conversion = a book I'd totally want to read. Doitdoitdoit! And keep us posted.

junebug said...

I've participated the past couple years. Although I never submit for verification. I think it will be a great way to get yourself started. Good luck! We can hook up as friends on there if you want. Just let me know. :-) I don't know how much I will get written this year since I will be moving across the country into a new house but I'm going to give it an effort.
I've read Mel's series and I agree it is fabulous info.

Nine said...

One of the many cool things about NaNoWriMo is that nobody is checking your work. Write whatever you want - just write! Last year there was a group on the NaNo website called something like NaNo Rebels who wrote screenplays, non-fic, poetry, etc... Join us....JOIN US!