November 9, 2010

These shoes were made for runnin'

Let the madness begin.
It's official. Yesterday marked the start of our Couch to 5K program. We are fully committed to this project now. Especially since we spent $200 on running shoes for the both of us alone.

But seriously, how could I say no to shoes that were both super comfy AND super cute?
In an effort to keep myself motivated, I'm also publicly sharing my weight because this is going to keep me motivated. So, starting out, I weigh 188.4 lbs. I'm only 5"2" and my BMI is 34. A little public self-shaming will go a long way. In fact, we even posted our weights on Facebook and Twitter. Dear readers, keep us in check!

Week 1, Day 1 of C25K is complete. Our 30-minute session last night consisted of a 5 minute warmup, and then alternating 60-second bursts of jogging and 90 second walkings for 20 minutes, followed by a 5 minute cooldown. (For a complete overview of the how C25K works, check out the full running program here.)

I laced up my new shoes, changed into my $35 sports bra (I am willing to pay extra to keep my gals from hitting me in the face while I run) and we headed off to the indoor track where I work since Mother Nature pretty much conspired against us from running outdoors yesterday.

I will not lie: I was huffing and puffing, but the alternating pace kept me from keeling over. The C25K iPhone app we downloaded worked great! I managed to jog for a total of about 8-10 minutes over the course of the training session. And by switching from jogging to walking, it really helped to give me a sense of focus as I anticipated the jogging sections and looked forward to the relief of walking again. Note to self: use my inhaler before we start running. That $35 sports bra? It keeps my gals in check but I can hardly breathe! Afterward, some nice deep stretching to (hopefully) keep me from hurting too bad tomorrow. I don't know how much distance we covered; I'll probably start keeping track of that next week.

No matter how tough this is going to get, and it will get tougher - I've got a reason to stay motivated and focused. Forget getting healthy. Forget losing weight. I can do this because this is a piece of cake compared to what Edison Peña underwent just to achieve at the New York Marathon on Sunday.

You see, Edison was one of the fine gentlemen trapped underground for two months in the Chilean mine accident. And yet, he still managed to train for the New York City Marathon despite being hundreds of miles underground, because he had been marathon training for years, and he wasn't about to let a bajillion pounds of earth ready to collapse on him at any moment stop him from training. He sawed off the ankles of his steel-toed workboots and ran laps of up to six miles in their confined space underground - every day.

And this past Sunday, Edison Peña finished the New York City Marathon in just 5 hours, 40 minutes.

I have NO reason to even think about giving up on this. And every time I start to get discouraged about this, I just have to keep picturing Edison running toward the finish line. In fact, when I felt myself starting to hurt in my arches, my breaths coming shorter, feeling my face flush and the sweat start to drip down my brow, I just kept repeating to myself, to the pat pat pat pat rhythm of my feet:

"Edison Peña. Edison Peña. Edison Peña."

It's all about the finish line. (Image via Getty Images.)

11 comments:

Alex said...

I'm so proud of you! I did the program before, and loved it!!! That is, of course, until I sprained my ankle and had to wear a boot for a month...

But definitely stretch - that may have helped me some... I'm also very proud of you for posting your weight, I know this takes courage!

Marica said...

oh yeah!!

just yesterday I started running again, after 2 months of no-activity, because I finally got pregnant but then I lost the baby! :-(
so, I need to run.. to forget and to keep me in shape!

I'll check here how you are doing!
I'm really slow right now!

(sorry for mi English)

AL said...

Awesome!!! I think it's a great program, and just come back and read this post if you ever start to get off track. Good luck!

lady pumpkin said...

It's so awesome that you're doing this! And you so can do it. A few years ago, I decided to walk a marathon, having never done anything of the sort before. If you ever feel like reading a blog written by a non-exerciser who went the distance, just like you're going to go the distance, check out few-years-ago me at unlikelymarathoner.blogspot.com.

Jess said...

Ditto verbatim to what Marcia said. I ran my first day of Couch25k yesterday. We can all do this!

Anonymous said...

You will rock it! I know I am a broken record, but we started Couch to 5K back in August and just did our first 5K in Chicago this past Saturday!!! From two people who huffed and puffed after 30 seconds, to run the full 5K was quite the accomplishment and proof that the program WORKS! Stick to it!! You will be kicking out 5K's before you know it!

KT said...

You can do it! For me, 5K's are a bit addicting...I am always trying to get a better time. This year, I did my first 10K and was so happy after...who knows what the future may hold,

Justine L said...

Woot! I was thinking of you today as I ran this morning, slowly, also huffing and puffing. VERY cute sneakers. You know that new sneakers make you run better/faster, right? That's a lesson I learned early in childhood. :)

Kristin said...

You are going to do an awesome job with this! Go Keiko Go!

Purplestate said...

Hooray! I love those shoes -- Brooks Adrenaline, yes? They are super comfy and you will look FAB-ulous in them!

Shanel said...

i am 5'4 and I weigh 201lbs....so I feel ya....I'm very interested in this program that you're doing....Hank you cause I really want to lose the weight but I need something that actually achievable.