June 24, 2010

"And Room to Grow..."

House hunting has come to a stall. We submitted an offer on Tuesday and it was rejected by the seller that same day. Rock on. There's an open house Sunday, so we're waiting to find out if anyone else bites. If no one does, we might submit a new offer, but we're also thinking about walking away if we must.

Walking away is the hardest thing to do when you're house hunting. It's so easy to fall in love: you find the house. You start imagining paint choices, furniture, little knick knacks and lamps and pictures and then you start preemptively filling in the memories you plan to make in each room of your house. But, it's not your house, not yet at least.

We foolishly did all of those things, filling up the pictures in our minds with all of our stuff, with all of that potential. Walking away is going to be so hard from a house we've fallen in love with.

Hunting for a house is the most grown up thing we've ever done in our adult lives. For me, it's unsettled some emotions I thought were put to rest over this last year. It all started when we set up our search parameters: 3 bedroom, 1+ bath. Since Larry works at home, a three-bedroom house makes sense: a master bedroom for us, an office for Larry, and "room to grow."

"Room to grow..." We've defaulted to this phrase at each home tour and open house. And every time I say it, I won't lie: it's tinged with sadness.

I know we'll be parents. I know we'll have a family. And I know we will probably never be able to do it the old-fashioned way, short of a miracle. Even after a year, even after all these positive, hopeful, advocacy-driven posts - it still hurts. It still cuts deep. I wander through these houses and these empty rooms, envisioning nurseries painted in soft pastels and knowing that Team Zoll #3 will never be half of Team Zoll #1 and Team Zoll #2. It doesn't matter. If it did, we'd never consider adoption or IF treatments in the first place.

But just because it doesn't matter doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt sometimes. It's in these rare, unguarded moments these feelings seep in, a heavy air of doubt and sadness.

All of this money we're pouring into buying a home pushes back our family building timeline substantially. I know we'll grow, I know we'll fill that third room. But now we have to wait even longer. Life happens. You make the best decisions you can in each moment. I know I can't live my life wanting for the future or weeping for the past. Life must be lived in the moment. I get that. I know that. Logical Keiko totally understands that 100%.

But damn if it doesn't just knock you down to your knees with worry and hesitation, the wind sucked clear out of your lungs and you find your self clawing at the air just to breathe.

"And room to grow..." This empty room we don't even have yet. This room whose descriptor lingers unresolved, hinting wryly at possibility but laced with uncertainty - hanging uncomfortably, the sentence unfinished and trailing off into the unknown.

I know we'll get there. I know it is going to be a hell of a lot harder and more expensive than we ever thought it would be. I know it's going to take time. I know I have to be strong. I have to be hopeful. I have to be positive. I have to live in the moment. I have to focus on what's in front of me and making it through each day before I can worry about ten tomorrows from now.

But sometimes I need to feel afraid. I need to feel sad. I need to feel like there isn't hope for a few moments, let all of those demons and grief fill the empty room in my head. I let them rush in like banshees and spirits and spectres.

And then I cast them out.

The room is empty, quiet again for a bit, waiting to be filled.


Photo by Christian Kadluba via Flickr.

18 comments:

Shorty said...

House hunting is both joy and pain. Even harder - buying a house when you have to sell the house you already own first. (we just went through that joy/pain)

Enjoy the experience - you will find the house for you

be well!

Gil said...

I always called it "The Room that shall not be named" à la Harry Potter. I have a few of my own posts about that. That room is known by a number of names in the blogosphere. I know firsthand how it is to deal with that room in your house. *hugs*

I gotta agree with Shorty; you WILL find the house for you. Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Got a room like that in my house. Should be home to twin boys but right now there's 1 crib, a carseat, a bunch of baby clothes and some barstools. I haven't been in there since we bought the house in 2008.

Don't worry, you will find the perfect house.

TwoDogMama said...

What a beautiful post. Your writing is always so vivid and the majority of time describes so accurately how I feel. Although, we are on our second home (homes are so much cheaper in the Midwest) and have been in this house for almost 4 years, everytime we make a financial decision (small/big) we have to take in to consideration how much owe for our adoption. I'll be honest with you sometimes I think there goes the bigger house with the walk-in closet I always wanted, there goes a new car, there goes vacations, etc because of the cost of adoption. It is so frustrating at times especially when you see others your age who did not have to pay anything to have a baby and they seem to have it all. Anyway you will find the perfect house. You will know. For our last three and half years the room in our house was the office. Only recently do we call it the baby's room and that's only because it is finally filled with baby stuff which is surreal. By the way thanks for your post on my blog yesterday and sorry this is so long. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

The idea of house hunting and house buying is so daunting for us. We've not gotten to that point yet but are in the planning and prepping stages for it.

I imagine your disappointment with the sellers reaction has a bit to do with the fact that you allowed yourself to hope for it and feel okay about that empty room, only to have your hopes and good feelings cast aside. Like it was just another slap in the face...reminder that, "Well, you don't have anyone to put in the extra room anyways".

It's not fair. But I believe that if this isn't the house God has for you (and I believe He's involved in every aspect of our lives) then He'll bring you the one He knows you'll be the happiest and most fulfilled in.

Until then, hang in there. <3

Jessa said...

Aw, sweetie, I'm sorry to hear your offer got rejected. Jess and I fell into the same trap when we were house hunting. We fell in love with an adorable cape and put in 3 different offers, only to have the sellers tell us flat out not to bother anymore (our final offer was only $2000 below asking price). It sucked, but looking back, I'm much happier with the house we're in now and realize that the first place would have been all wrong for us, no matter how much we thought we loved it.

I won't tell you not to let that extra empty room get to you, since you have every right to own your emotions. But try not to let it overshadow the terrifying joy of hunting for and purchasing your first home. I try to live life believing the universe will always give me what I need when I need it, and I'm certain the right house is out there waiting for you. Continue to ride and trust in the positive wave of changes that have come your way this year - there are many more waiting around the bend!

Lori said...

Oh...this reminds me so much of our first househunting efforts--looking for 'room to grow' over TEN years ago...doing all the stuff everyone said would bring the baby---by the bigger house, go under buying furniture for it, go on vacation (which turned into vacationS), yada, yada...finally, 10+years later the room is a nursery.

And it's empty. Fully stocked for the little one who didn't get to know of his room but through my descriptions to him.

Those rooms haunt us--whether we're waiting to fill them, think we've finally filled them, or wait to fill them again. They are in our face, daily reminders of all our what ifs.

Hope the perfect house becomes yours soon and that the room for which you hope to grow quickly becomes filled!!

Lori ICLW 105

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling of having to chose between a house and a baby. A choice that no one should have to make.

Perhaps you could call the 3rd room a guest bedroom for now.

Good luck and thank you for your writing.
Suzanne

Jana said...

House hunting--exciting, stressful, emotional.

I have one random room in my house that has never really found it's true purpose because it is waiting to be our children's room. We bought our house due to the big yard, close schools, and plenty of room. And someday, all that planning will pay off, the same will happen for you. But in the meantime, it can be difficult at times.

Hang in there.

Kir said...

that was soooo beautifully written that tears sprung to my eyes.

My experience with it is that we were building our dream house, the frame was up, concrete poured etc....and I said, I can't build this if we can't fill up 4 rooms.
We got our deposit back and did the IVF.
VOILA.

but I miss the "idea" of the house. But whenever I think of the alternative, well there isn't one is there?

I know your house will find you and fill up. Your heart will know the happiness of children in your home.

cagrlasu said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. We had our house built in 2005.We would bring our friends out to see the different stages done on the house and everytime I would point out where the nursery was going to be. That was 2005, we moved in 2006. In that time miscarriages 1&2 happened. I walked by that room almost everyday with it's door closed as I went to do laundry. It made me cry at the thought that it would be empty forever. In 2007 I had my 3rd loss, 2008 my 4th and 5th loss. Each year seemed to pass and still that empty room sat with it's door closed. Then in 2009 our miracle finally arrived! We adopted a beautiful baby girl. Don't lose hope, don't lose faith. It WILL happen. It is just a matter of WHEN. Staying present in the moment is so hard. Try to keep the positive outlook that it will not always be called "the Room to Grow." Someday that room will be "Sarah's room or Tommy's room, or Jessie's Room"

KT said...

It never hurts to put a low offer on a home...we certainly have done it. Sometimes the seller might be willing to work with you on a low number if you are willing to work with them on something such as dates. You just never know...you might walk away with a deal!

KT said...

It never hurts to put a low offer on a home...we certainly have done it. Sometimes the seller might be willing to work with you on a low number if you are willing to work with them on something such as dates. You just never know...you might walk away with a deal!

daega99 said...

We fell in love with a house that we didn't get. I was so heartbroken. I then compared every house we then saw with that house... a waste of a year...

Thankfully I fell in love with our current house and enjoyed planning what to do with it once it was ours. Our 'guest room' is the room that we never discussed...

ICLW

http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

Jonelle said...

Michael and I aren't there yet in regards to buying a house, but we would like one. I know what you mean about having a 'room to grow'.

In the 5 years that we have lived in our 2 bedroom apartment the 2nd bedroom has never looked like an actual room. More like a room with lots of junk in it, but we are in the process of cleaning it out.

I hope you find the right house for you and Larry.

Ashlee G. said...

I've hesitated on looking for a house because of that very reason. I don't want to settle into a 4 bedroom home, just to have those rooms sit empty forever.

I hope that you get the house and that the sellers don't laugh at you again.

Best of luck!
Ashlee

ICLW #180

Christy Morley said...

It'a hard place to be. I hope that your room to grow gets filled sooner than you could hope for.

Elana Kahn said...

We bought with lots of "room to grow", and B"H we are growing into it. And you will too!!! Don't forget, though, if you want to move into my house you are more than welcome. :-) We have 3 bedrooms upstairs, although the twins are going to occupy one in a few months. There's a bathroom, and you could use our kitchen!