September 21, 2010

Holy OMNOMNOM-ing

Welcome to another ICLW! I've been missing from the blogosphere recently and I thought that ICLW was just what I needed to get back into the virtual swing of things. Past ICLW intros can be found linked here, but to give you the quick rundown:

• I'm 28 with POF. Hoping to pursue domestic infant adoption with my husband Larry in the next 3-5 years.
• Just bought our first house! Also, had our first (hopefully only) fire. Homeownership is full of adventure, I'm quickly learning.
• Recently featured in Tablet Magazine last month for an article about infertility and reconciling Jewish faith.
• Getting awarded next Tuesday night in NYC at RESOLVE's Night of Hope Awards for Best Viral Video.

So there's the quick schpiel.

This has been a very contemplative start to the Jewish New Year for me. While I don't think our fire was any kind of punishment from G-d, it certainly was a wake-up call. The takeaway message I got from all of this: we have a new home. It's time to really start living Jewishly.

It's time to find a shul. It's time to really start observing Shabbos, perhaps rising to the call of the Sabbath Manifesto, as we were called to do at Yom Kippur services this year. It's a neat concept that Larry particularly finds intriguing that I could get behind too.

For me? On a more personal way of being Jewish? Sanctifying the ordinary, most basic everyday act: saying the blessings before food. If I won't keep kosher (because I'm sorry, bacon cheeseburgers and lobster are too delicious for a foodie to give up entirely) then I can at least make the act of eating holy.

I'll be honest. This is not easy; there isn't one catch-all blessing I can say. There's a blessing for bread (ha-motzi lechem min ha'aretz) but a different one for pasta and crackers (borey miney mezunot). And you say one blessing for grapes and wine (fruit of the vine), one for apples, pears and the like (fruit of the tree), and another entirely for most veggies and contradictingly enough, bananas (fruit of the earth).

But I do it because it forces me to give pause before I eat, to be thankful for daily sustenance, to sanctify the ordinary and to be mindful and take note of what I'm putting into my body. I've figured out that the more blessings I have to say, the more balanced my meal ^_^

And with that, it's time for lunch. Bon apetit and happy noshing.

8 comments:

Whitney said...

I love that, "to sanctify the ordinary." Really, it's one of my favorite things when finding prayers, to find ones that remind me of that.

Happy ICLW, and good luck with your journey.

Justine L said...

Thich Nhat Hanh has some wonderful things to say about mindfulness and eating/drinking (particularly tea) ... I forget, but really, if you start being mindful at meals, it turns out that you're mindful pretty often during the day! (And I can't believe I missed getting myself on the ICLW list ... wah!!)

Anonymous said...

Happy ICLW, and have fun in New York next week!

Terry Elisabeth said...

I assume it's still standing so congrats on the house !
Happy ICLW
#106

Kristin said...

I love the idea of sanctifying the ordinary...truly a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I read about your fire - how horrible! I'm glad everyone is OK though!

Happy ICLW #115
http://lovelyladybump.blogspot.com/

Marthavmuffin said...

Pretty complicated cuisine rules. I admire you for trying to adhere to some of themt

Sarah said...

Congrats on the new house!! I am so sorry to hear about fire, that must have been scary!!

Congrats on your award

Happy ICLW!!
#100