September 8, 2010

L'shana tova, 5771!

Photo by Ron Almog via Flickr.
Apples dipped in honey: the sweetest treat, savored as we welcome the new Jewish year. The calendar turns again. I have lived my whole life by the academic calendar, so as the wind picks up just the slightest chill, as the calendar flips from August into September, I can't help but think of school supplies and apples with honey.

The sweetness of beginnings.

We are moved into our new house- not settled as there are boxes everywhere- but moved in, keys in hand, mezuzah affixed. It was a rough closing day (details in another post), but in the end, it's our house. OUR house! It still feels strange to say. Even though we moved in just this past Friday, it still feels a bit like a foreign place. Bit by bit, we'll start to make it feel like home.

In these few hours as 5770 winds to a close, I am thankful and grateful for the year of abundance we have been granted: Larry's job, my raise, our house, our amazing trip to Japan last October, my niece... when 5769 rained nothing but heartache and pain on us, 5770 showered us with blessings.

As we approach a new year, as we stand here facing 5771, this is the year of responsibility and committment. We owe it to the abundant grace of this past year.

Tonight we celebrate the new year with friends. I've got 2 loaves of challah in my car ready to bring over and from there we head to services. I bought myself a red cardigan for the occasion: red, the color of apples, pomegranates, fertility, joy.

Tomorrow: services with friends, then a trip to IKEA, as we desperately need a kitchen cart to provide more counterspace. We are loving our home. I'm covered in bumps and bruises as I get used to new bannisters, corners, and layouts. I'm a little exhausted from not sleeping that great: I never sleep well in new environments. I'm intrigued to learn more about the original owner of the home from 1846, whose presence is still very much in these walls and halls.

I want to fill this house with things, yes, but I want to fill this house with memories more.

I am truly humbled entering into this new year. We're super excited to own our own home. It is an increasingly rarer priviledge in this day and age, so I am constantly thankful and grateful for this blessing. I'm still getting used to the idea that this house is actually ours.

This home. It's not just a house.

Home sweet home.

And a sweet New Year to you all.

L'shanah tovah tikatev v'taihatem.

As a new chapter begins in our lives, may you each be inscribed and sealed for another year.

9 comments:

R. said...

Shana Tova to you as well.

The B said...

May you be inscribed for a good year!

Justine L said...

Happy New Year! I love the fact that Rosh Hashanah coincides with the beginning of the academic year ... convenient for those of us in this field who experience September as a beginning. Wishing you joy in 5771!

Kristin said...

Happy New Year and welcome home!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! and congratulations on your new home. This is only the beginning for you to fill out the walls with memories. May you be blessed in this upcoming new year.

Pix said...

Happy New Year! Sending you many good wishes.

Elana Kahn said...

Amen and L'Shana Tova to you as well! See you on Monday!!

Julie said...

L'shanah tovah right back atcha! One of the first things we did, before we even moved thing into the house, was put up a mezuzah, too. And still, we get people coming by to dole out religious pamphlets, haha...

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.