September 3, 2010

A September Return

Photo by Andreanna Moya Photography via Flickr.
...And I'm back folks. Did you miss me? Here, follow me past the cut to see what I've been up to the last month.

Our freshmen are moved in. Our returning students come back this weekend. The wheel of the academic year turns again. Every August, I go into hibernation - my online and IRL social lives take a complete backseat to my work. Since August 10th, my days have looked something like this:

7:00am - Wake up, shower.
7:30am - Leave for work. Take a new route nearly every day based on my GPS w/traffic reports.
8:30am - Arrive at work. Briefly check email and inhale breakfast.
9:00am - RD or RA Training Sessions. Squeeze in lunch at noon if I can.
5:00pm - Dinner.
6:00pm - Late night training sessions or staying late to finish more work for hall opening.
7:30pm - Leave for "home."
8:00pm - Get home, change, snack or eat dinner, watch a little TV or nap.
10:30pm - Bed.

Lather, rinse, repeat. I've worked every day since August 22, including weekends. Tomorrow will be my first day off since then. To say I'm exhausted is a bit of an understatement... but you know what? I'm really proud of the work I've put into training this year, and really happy with what I'm doing. For the first time since moving to Massachusetts, I'm in a really good place in my career. It's weird to say career - this isn't a just job anymore.

. . .

Tonight is the last night we are staying with wonderfully generous friends of ours in Peabody. They have been gracious enough to take in our hobo selves since August 15th. It's nearly 1:30am, and despite working a 12 hour day today, I can't sleep. I'm unusually hyper.

I'm reminded of Christmas Eve.

...Tomorrow, we close on our house at 1pm.

After two extensions and literally acres of paperwork emailed, faxed, and hand-delivered... we are a go for tomorrow. I can't believe we're less than 12 hours away from being homeowners! No wonder I can't sleep. I'm just so damn excited.

. . .

I took a very long shower this evening. A between the toes, behind the ears, shampoo AND conditioner kind of shower. I was reminded of just a few years ago, this same kind of shower as I prepared for my conversion mikveh. As strange as it might sound, immersion in the ritual bath requires the person to wash every square inch of skin, every strand of hair - it's part of the act of ritual purification.

I'm not a long shower taker. I've got it down to a routine: shampoo, body wash, face wash. Sometimes brushing my teeth gets thrown in there. But I'm in and out of the shower in about 15 minutes, tops. So when I take these longer showers, it's because I like that time to just relax and have me time. I think - a lot.

Sometimes it's me and G-d time. Like that moment before the mikveh.

I find that before I take a next big step in my life, before I dip my toes into these rushing waters of life - it's just me, the running water on my face and hair, silence, and G-d: humbled, naked, and restored.

. . .

Regular posts next week. Lots more stuff to talk about. Winners of the giveaway announced next week. Hurricane's a-comin' - not sure yet what's in store for Salem. And this time tomorrow, I'll be in our house.

It's good to be back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's me- the one you steal shampoo from...
I do a lot of thinking in the shower. In fact, this summer I learned that most of my colleagues write the majority of their sermons in the shower. Inneresting...

Justine L said...

Yay! You're back. :) Good luck with the closing ... and enjoy a nice long shower in your new digs! (I take "me" time in there, too.)

Kristin said...

Welcome back and congrats on finally getting to close on the house! Hope Earl has lost most of his power by the time he comes to visit up there.

PS...did you get the book?

Glass Case of Emotion said...

Congrats on the house!!!! I love showers, they can be very freeing and rebirthy if we let them!

Three Cats and a Baby said...

Hooray for your new house!!

I do a lot of thinking in the shower too. Sometimes I even cry in the shower. I actually think it was the only place I cried leading up to my hyst surgery.