November 2, 2010

From Couch to 5K

May I present you with... our brand-new couch! And our new chair!

 

We've been waiting since early September for these... now we can finally sit down on something other than camping chairs to watch TV! In honor of this momentous occasion, Larry and I have decided that since we've gotten new couch, it's the the perfect time to begin Couch to 5K. We start next week when Larry's back from some out of town trips for work.

Basically, it's a 9-week training program to turn fatty couch potatoes like us (and yes, I would say and have said this to Larry's face) into newbie runners, working up to the 5K. A 5K sounds intimidating, but it's the shortest race out there. It's only 3.somethingsomething miles. I can do 3.somethingsomething miles! Well, maybe. We'll see :)

So here's my commitment to getting up off the couch (a damn fine lovely, damn fine comfy couch, I might add) and getting my ass in gear. Also? An excuse to buy snazzy brand-spankin' new running shoes because I've never owned a nice pair of "for reals runnin' shoes" before.

Anyone else want to be virtual running buddies and check in with each other on how we're doing?



Other ongoing stuff:
Don't forget this Saturday
is the RESOLVE of New England Family Building Conference
!

Have you donated yet to the Fertile Fall Fundraiser?
Help me reach my goal of $2,000!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So nice to see you tonight... Thank you all for your support. I want to be able to do this to so I would be glad to be a running buddy. There is a group at the salem Y run by Beth Schultz who is fabulous! Sign up fo it if you like...

Liz G. said...

hey, mrs. cheeseburger! love the furniture. i've been lurking but so busy with grad school that i couldn't do a comment justice. but...i started couch to 5 k in april and got to week 6 (when i stopped due to kickball season). it's a great program! make sure you have properly fitted running shoes, and be willing to repeat weeks. if you look up "podrunner intervals" on itunes, free podcasts with the timed intervals await. good luck! i look forward to watching you progress and maybe starting up again with you guys from afar once the quarter slows down a bit.

-liz

Erica said...

Re: virtual running buddies, traineo.com is a free site that provides a nice little interface for creating groups of people to motivate one another and hold each other accountable. There's a good description here: http://fitness-websites.no1reviews.com/traineo.html

Justine L said...

(*cheering*) ... good for you! I'd join you but I think I'm going backwards (5KtoC) ... so I will cheer you on from the sidelines! You can *absolutely* do 5K.

Cherish said...

Yay for furniture!! Sorry I won't join you in the running but I wish you luck.

Jana said...

good looking couches.
hope your couch to 5k program goes well

Anonymous said...

Cute furniture. So wish the hubs and I would get some new couches. Ours are deflated marshmallows.
The Couch to 5K WORKS!! DH and I started back in August and would barely get through the 30 second runs...now we are doing 30 minutes at a clip and will run our first 5k this Saturday!!! I cannot recommend this program enough. You can also get the C25K app that walks you through each session. It's what we used and just loved it. Seconding Liz G. about getting fitted for running shoes. It's worth it! Best of luck to you guys!!