November 13, 2010

The IF-Free Zone

Texture credit: DELLipo™
Sometimes, all this talk about infertility and babies and doctor's appointments can be a bit much, so I created a blog post label "IF-free zone." Because sometimes, I just don't feel like writing about infertility - even the more positive aspects like volunteering and advocacy. This girl just needs a break sometimes.

I also block out time in my daily schedule where I'm going to enjoy myself and not think about the soul-crushing depression of my barrenness. I make sure to set aside non-blogging time as IF-free zones. I encourage you to do the same, because it works wonders. Not every conversation I have with my husband has to be about infertility or baby things. Sometimes we just want to talk about that funny article we read on Cracked.com that day or why I think just the phoenetics of the words Windows Phone are inferior to the fluidity of how iPhone just rolls off the tongue.

So what do I write about in my IF-Free Zone? Well, let's check the label. Apparently I have 16 posts labeled IF-free zone prior to this. I've written about traveling, camping, my hots for Tony Bourdain, getting in shape, dieting (ha ha, that totally failed), memories of Sept. 11th, and a lotta stuff about food.

I guess the point of my IF-free zone is to say, look: there's more to me that just my infertility. In fact, let me showcase the things that give me pleasure, give me purpose, or I just feel the need to get up on my soapbox and talk about for little bit, because it matters to me in some way.

So I've decided to make a little graphic to emphasize beyond just the blog post label. If you want it, feel free to "right click + save as" and slap it up on your own IF-free zone blog moments.

I hope you find it as freeing as I have... because we are ALL more than just our infertility.

3 comments:

Mrs.Tiye said...

Funny you should mention this. I've been working on my zone for a few weeks now. I had to go and create an entirely infertility-free blog to get my other thoughts together, and you're so right about how much it helps. I must say, the largest thing this community is apart from infertility, is some of the smartest, funniest and kindest folk.

Babysteps said...

OMG!!! I love it!!! I have wanted that, needed that free zone too. I am so tired of swimming in this cesspool of negativity and sadness!!! LOVE it K!!

Rebecca said...

Awesome! I'm totally gonna steal it!

We ARE so much more than our infertility, and it's time we started giving ourselves the credit for that!