January 21, 2011

Dear Media: You're Not Helping

Warning: ranty post ahead.

The media has never really been kind to infertility. Then you get movies like Baby Momma and the ever horrifying The Backup Plan that kind of muck things up once in awhile. Only recently have we started seeing more empowering coverage such as Self Magazine's ground-breaking infertility article last August and shows like Giuliana & Bill. That said, we still have a long way to go.

Which leads me to my first point. Dear Media: Leave Guiliana and Bill Rancic alone.

Hang in there, Guiliana.
I realize that's a loaded statement given the fact that they've created a reality show based primarily on their infertility experience. Also, in full disclosure: I haven't watched their show, but I've followed along in online updates. They did something pretty brave by putting their infertility struggle in a very bright public light, and I applaud them for their courage and resolve. I can't even fathom coping with a miscarriage on national television.

So I was rather annoyed when I read an interview with Giuliana, titled "Giuliana Rancic: We Are Done With IVF For Now." The not-so-subtle spin there? The Rancics are quitters. When I clicked through and read the interview, I was even more infuriated that the question immediately following "how are you handling your miscarriage" was "Have you considered adoption?"

*facepalm*

No! Gosh! What is this "adoption" you speak of, oh wise media outlet? The thought has never crossed the minds of couples who can't have children. Goshemgollygeewhiz what an idea!

Why - why - is that always the first question other people ask in the wake of infertility? It's insensitive and just plain rude. I'm not knocking adoption by any means, but man - give this woman a break. She just lost a pregnancy following an aggressive IVF treatment. Have some respect.

It doesn't matter if Guiliana and Bill Rancic have a TV show or not. If they want to take a break from IVF, so be it. IVF is no walk in the park and no couple should ever feel like they're quitters just because they want to take a break, whether it's IVF, DE, IUI, or even natural conception. Sometimes you just need a break from the babymaking madness - and that deserves respect, not rejection.

. . .

Seriously. Please close your mouth.
Rant #2. Dear Media: Stop perpetuating the idea that getting pregnant, especially as a teen, is super easy and sort of cool.

Kim Kardashian: let me just file this under "topics I never thought about which I'd blog." But I'm getting ahead of myself.

You may have heard that there's apparently something in the water in at Frayser High School in Memphis, Tennessee: 90 young women are currently pregnant or have had a child this academic year. Granted, the school has a program for teen moms, so the superintendent claims it's a "magnet for pregnant teens."

Let's all just have a moment to scream silently: "90 pregnant teens in one high school and I can't score even one positive pregnancy test ?!"

Sweet, I feel better. You? Fab.

So then Kim Kardashian opens her big fat famewhore mouth (I know, not the most feminist-empowering or politically correct word I could use but let's face it: I'm callin' it like I see it) and blames the whole mess on MTV's Teen Mom. Two of the women from the show rightfully fire back at Miss Kimmy's holier-than-thou stance, reminding us that: "she made a sex tape when she was younger and she wants to bash the girls on Teen Mom?"

Word, Teen Mom lady, word.
 
On the other hand, I can understand where Kim "Wait, Why Am I Famous Again?" Kardashian is coming from. Much like the "pregnancy pact" drama of last year up in my neck of the woods, teen pregnancy is a subject the media loves to glamorize. Exhibit A: the film, Juno - because having babies at 16 is all iconic t-shirts and cheeseburger phones.
 
The issue I take is that there is a media perpetuated and culturally dictated message that if a young dude so much as breathes on a young lady, BAM! Teen pregnancy. (That's been one of my biggest gripes about abstinence-only sex ed in high schools.) At 17, I was super paranoid about pregnancy... and I was still a virgin! That's how paranoid I was. So, color me shocked when just a decade later, I'd like to get knocked up and I find out that all of those media messages and the borderline-Puritanical tone of high school health classes are a lie. That no, it's actually not that easy to get pregnant and millions of twenty and thirty-somethings have this idea that they'll land a bun in the oven on the first few tries.
 
And then millions of us wait another month or two longer to talk to our doctors because, it's just a little horizontal mambo, how hard could this be? Everybody (media, society) said this would be easy. Birds, bees, and all that jazz.
 
It's irresponsible, The Media. It's just fucking irresponsible.
 
We need the media to talk more responsibly about young women's health, not stories that turn babies into damned matching accessories. We need young women to a) thoroughly understand what's happening in their bodies and b) to recognize when things aren't right. We need young women (and men) to know that 1 in 8 could be them in 10 years, 5 years, next year- but they didn't even know it because they didn't feel empowered enough to talk to their doctor. We need high risk young women and men to think about fertility preservation - they might not know at 16 if they want to have children, but they should still have the chance if they want to later in life  and so they need to know how to talk to their parents and doctors about it now.
 
Because seriously? I should never have to agree with Kim Kardashian on anything. Ever.

29 comments:

Jasmine said...

It's not just the media, but the medical community as well. I'm sitting here watching a commercial for Seasonique--you know, that pill that only gives you four periods a year. It makes me mad that the medical/scientific community would invest all this time and money into developing something that is purely for alleviating the inconvenience of a monthly menstrual cycle along with the added bonus of preventing pregnancy. I can almost guarantee that 98% of the women who take that pill are doing it to eliminate the "hassle" of a period. Everything today is about convenience and ease-- never mind that anything worth doing requires real effort. What's happening is the creation of an entire generation of kids that have no idea how to work for things, and no idea how to handle disappointment and failure. I agree with you-- it sucks being on the same side of the fence as Kim Kardashian.

Nicole said...

Like Kim, i do think that shows like teen mom and 16 and pregnant do to some extent glamorize teen pregnancy. Yes, they show how hard it is, and that its a struggle, but on the other side you see them on magazine covers, in the media, etc. I can see how some teens, who might think they are ready, would get pregnant to be on an MTV show. Kim did get in over her head with her comments, but she does have a a small minimal point.

With that said i agree that their should be more shows about infertility.

Uinipooh said...

I agree with everything you wrote. What pisses me off with the media is their love affair with baby bumps. Why do you insist on jamming pregnant bellies in our faces? Who the hell cares who is pregnant or not?

apluseffort said...

Well put! In any event, if Guiliana said she was going to adopt now, she'd be treated like a quitter for that too. (I get some flak like that.) Also, I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only virgin teen paranoid about getting pregnant :)

Stephanie said...

Gah! So true. If I had a dime for every time I'd been asked about why I haven't adopted, I'd well... be able to pay for said adoption!

Jonelle said...

"Because seriously? I should never have to agree with Kim Kardashian on anything. Ever."

LOL, I'm sorry Keiko, this had me rolling. Because no sane person should ever have to agree with any of the Kardashians.

But seriously, at 17 I was paranoid about pregnancy and I was a virgin too. I didn't know that a decade later I would be a year into ttc and still not getting pregnant. And to make matters worse, I was frightened to go to the dr because then that meant that there was a problem.

I wish I had been prepared about infertility in HS or college health class. Instead what was shoved in my naive face was that if I had unprotected sex before marriage I would get pregnant. Imagine my disappointment when after I got married the pregnancy after the unprotected sex didn't happen. Great post!

Shorty said...

What a totally awesome post. Also to add to your rant...people who judge those who seek to do IVF. I see two types of annoying responses a) the world doesn't need more people, accept your infertile fate and deal with it or b) there are so many children waiting to be adopted, really they should do that.

I can't tell you how much it pisses me off (pardon my french) when i read those types of things.

EC said...

The way the media handles pregnancy and infertility makes me crazy, too. I do feel bad for Guiliana and Bill...even though they have publicized their struggle, they shouldn't be criticized or pressured because of their decisions. I think it's great that they have brought more awareness to the issue (especially that not all IVF cycles work!), but I wonder if they would do it again, knowing the difficulties they've faced.

Thanks for the great post!

~ICLW
http://tryingagian.blogspot.com

rebecca said...

Amen...preach it sister!!! I couldn't agree more...excellent post!

Babysteps said...

Standing ovation for this post!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hurdles of Life said...

you bring a smile to my face (in the face of infertility and all that jazz) even when you are ranting! ♥

but sadly... i agree with K-squared, Teen Mom is perpetuating the idea that pregnancy at a young age is cool and will bring your 15 minutes of fame! .. just like K-squared's sex tape.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Hear - Hear!

I love this post. (and completely agree)

Allison said...

Brilliant perfection.

Anonymous said...

Hi - Got here through ICLW - Love your blog! I've been ranting relentlessly about the media's preggo obsession on my blog as well - so glad to see another sister in ranty-land!
In short - awesome post!

Jessica White said...

Great post!

As a mom to a DI kid (my husband has azoo) ...the media seriously pisses me off.

Virginia said...

Amen! I hear and feel your rage. Thank you for voicing it so eloquently.

BBH said...

I have to agree with Kim K. I mean, the sex tape was stupid, but it seems she took precautions that kept her from getting pregnant, unlike these teen moms. That being said, I know nothing about Kim K. or the teen moms because I don't keep up with either show.
I always wonder if my 18-year-old eggs would have done better with pregnancy than my 28-year-old ones. My problem is recurrent miscarriages. If I would have gotten pregnant back then, I wonder if my eggs would have been good enough to produce a quality embryo.

Anonymous said...

I'm here from ICLW, attracted by the title of your blog.

After reading that rant, I pretty much love you.

-Marie, #181

Lisa said...

I've never heard of Giuliana & Bill, being over here in the UK without a SKY contract, but it sounds really good. I can't imagine living my own IVF and miscarriages out under the glare of public scrutiny, but I am interested, and somewhat admiring, of the idea that someone else would choose to bring their infertility out in the open as it could help others. I get what you are saying, Keiko. No matter why this couple decided to do the show, the fact is that they have had a physical and emotional setback, have to go through the same grief process that any other couple would have to deal with and have a decision-making process ahead. For the media to be snide, negative, critical, intrusive or judgmental, is beyond the scope of reporting.

Lisa
ICLW #21 - Your Great Life

M3MU said...

I seriously love your blog. :)

Lori LeRoy said...

Couldn't agree with you more, my dear! I am so tired of seeing these Teen Moms glamorized on the covers of People. And I realize that Guiliana is a public figure, but that interview is just crap. I HATE when people think that adoption is the magic, be-all-end-all solution.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. You're hilarious.

Sara said...

I totally agree. I was shocked when I went off the pill and didn't get pregnant the moment hubby came near me. I had a totally screwed up view of how pregnancy and fertility actually work. This is stuff kids will need to know in life and should be taught in high schools.

Stopping by from ICLW.

Marybeth said...

For the record I *hate* how the media portrays infertility. If it weren't for shows like G&B I might just shoot my TV. Can't agree more about 2 other statements you made too. 1. Adoption isn't the cure all after TTC hasn't worked, and people should just stop throwing it out there like there is some magical company out there throwing babies at you for free (a la in one of those t-shirt shooting machines- NOT laugh out loud Juno), and 2. can they (whoever 'they' is) change how young women are taught sex in school? I, too was paranoid that my virgin self would get pregnant just rubbing up against a guy in high school and knew I just HAD to get on the pill as soon as I was in college when in all actuality I could have saved a buttload of money on BCP because I was infertile anyway like many other women, but don't tell that to my middle school sex ed teacher. It's like they're getting paid under the table by the pharmaceitical companies. Okay--I'll step off my high horse...visiting from ICLW #109

Lindsay said...

So much I could say. But i'll just say this, I agree. It is all freaking frustrating, annoying and plain hard to deal with what our stupid media decides to focus on. I can't look away, I just can't but some days I really wish I could.

Liz said...

love this post!! I am glad I'm not the only person who felt cheated by a shoddy sex education. I went to college forever, and I thought I had a good idea of where babies come from, but I was shocked when I didn't get pregnant the minute I stopped birth control and my husband's penis touched my leg. Or even when we had sex. Lots of sex. Although if Teen Mom has taught me anything, it's that we really don't want teenagers to know that...

adoptchange said...

What I hate the most is the media's coverage of "older" celebrity's pregnancies without acknowledging that most likely they used frozen embryos or egg donation. Its like we are suppose to believe at the age of 40 these women magically got pregnant without any sort of medical intervention!

cagrlasu said...

I love this post. You are so right. I have been through 8 miscarriages and everyone always makes the dumbest comments. One person actually said, "well, I guess you are getting used to losing all of these babies aren't you?" No! I will never get used to losing my precious babies you insensitive ass!

I hate the commercials too Jasmine. And Lifetime's new show "One Born Every Minute." They promote the heck out of that show. Teen pregnancy shows or I Didn't Know I was Pregnant. It is in our face all around us.It's so upsetting.

We grew our family through adoption but are still trying for a successful pregnancy.

Julie said...

Oh man, there is so much awesome in this post that I want to jump up and down and scream about it, and I would if it wasn't going to scare my husband and dog.

I'll admit... I love Baby Mama. I hated Plan B, but not without trying to love it for a while before giving up and admitting it was just a terrible movie. And I love Juno. I love anything, anything at all that has to do with pregnancy. I'm obsessed. I mean, I'm already thinking about it all the time. (Although I loved your line about ironic t-shirts and cheeseburger phones. That is a perfect characterization of that movie, haha.)

And I'll admit... on the Rancics, I kinda judged them a little myself. And I know that's terrible and unfair. I've never done IVF, so as much as I have this "I'll do it in a second, you can stick me with a needle right now" attitude towards IVF, I know it's not representative of having been through that. But I've done four cycles of treatment now, including things like uncomfortable medical procedures and sticking myself with needles, and I feel like... "Well, I'd have kept going, because I REALLY WANT KIDS, I guess more than they do." And really, it's none of my business, even though it's hard to keep that in mind when they put it all on TV. Either way, I love that show because hello, it's about infertility treatments and I want everyone on the planet to know everything about that and appreciate what these procedures and experiences mean to us and the toll it takes on oneself and one's relationship.

And I hate hate hate the Kardashians and our country's obsession with them, ugh. UGH I SAY.