January 26, 2011

Three Years Ago Today


I took your hand and spoke with purpose:

Matzati et she'ahava nafshi
(I have found him, whom my soul loves)

Three years ago, I remember my veiled perspective:
surrounded by family and song, my excitement lulled
into comtemplative anticipation as the rabbi lead us in niggun
her wordless, haunting melody reaching deep within me
 
In this sacred silk space around my head and face
I knew I would exit a different woman
someone's wife - your wife
my veil lifted as though my world awakened
the first light of our many tomorrows
 
I remember the corners of the red napkin we each clutched with desperation
as our friends and family lifted us high over their shoulders
the Hora playing loudly, everything whirling around us like a carnival ride
 
The feel of your hands as we exchanged rings
the first I had felt your touch all weekend
as you recited words that have echoed across
five thousand years
I felt holy and connected, my soul
rejoicing, relieved
 
gladdened to have found
the one
in whom I
delight
 
. . .
 
What a remarkable three years it has been, and here's to many, many more adventures together.
 
Happy anniversary, love.

11 comments:

April said...

Happy anniversary!!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!!!

Gil said...

Wishing you both a wonderful day and a superb anniversary! GO CELEBRATE!!! *hugs*

lady pumpkin said...

Happy anniversary, Keiko! Congratulations!!

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary! Love your dress!

good+growing said...

What a happy day! Congrats and many more!

EC said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful wedding. :)

S said...

Happy Anniversary!

PCOSChick said...

Happy Anniversary! I also LOVE that bottom picture!

Patience said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Rachael Lynn said...

I love that picture you look so happy!!!