February 28, 2011

Boston Walk for Choice

I know I've been talking a lot about anti-reproductive legislation lately, but I wanted to share a short video recap I made of Saturday's Walk for Choice in Boston. Dozens of cities participated (internationally as well), and I was lucky enough to participate, carrying my signs in the cold, walking in solidarity with other men and women who recognized that yes, we need to care about all this craptacular legislation out there.

Awesome moments of the day:

+ On a very crowded train to downtown, a young woman sitting across from me read one side of my sign (Infertile Woman for Choice), made eye contact with me, smiled, and made a little heart symbol with her hands.

+ Marching through Downtown Crossing, our chants echoing off the tall buildings around us, cars honking in support, people stopping to read our signs.

+ Marching through Boston Common, people lined up along us, reading our signs, clapping and cheering in solidarity. I found that particularly emotional.

+ Several hundred people calling Senator Scott Brown's office at the same time, leaving messages urging him to vote against a Senate bill to defund Planned Parenthood.

+ The many, many witty signs.

It was a great day. For more recaps, check out the Boston Walk for Choice Tumblr, as well as the main Walk for Choice Tumblr with photos and video from cities around the world who participated on Saturday.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I would have been so proud and grateful to see women (and men!) marching down the street defending my infertile butt's right to make whatever piss-poor choices I have available about my family planning. Thank you for doing that <333

IVFJess said...

Thank you for all that you do. Your record of some of the beautiful moments of the day moved me to tears.

I feel guilty that I'm so self-absorbed these days- it's hard to have the energy to advocate while in the midst of infertility treatments. But you inspire me.

Thank you.