March 22, 2011

Rod Roddy said it best.

"A NEW CAR!!!!"
As promised, here are pictures of the new car. After some debate and a thoroughly convincing test drive, we ended up going with the 2011 VW Jetta.




She's a beaut. She's got zip and some serious power when she's in sport mode. She's got leatherette seats, a sunroof, bluetooth connectivity with my phone, 3 months of Sirius sat radio, and a cold weather convenience package with heated seats, heated side mirrors, and heated windshield wiper fluid nozzles. And you could probably fit at least two bodies in the trunk, even without the flip-down back seats. I think I'm in love.

We dropped off the Civic Saturday morning. Since I had already taken everything out of the car, I couldn't connect my phone to play some final parting tunes... but I had left a Beatles CD in the radio, so we drove to the dealer listening to Ticket to Ride and finally Yesterday. A fitting last ride in the Civic. I won't lie... I was happy to see her off.

Picking up the Jetta was a breeze (as was buying it). If you're looking for a reputable VW dealer in the North Shore area, shoot me an email. I'm happy to make a referral because they rocked. We drove off, I connected my phone, and it was time to play the first song in the new ride:

Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries. It seemed the natural choice for my first German car.

It was then followed by Nena's 99 Red Balloons (which, cranked up in the rockin' stereo system in my car, has a tendency to make me drive rather fast). Then I moved on to some other new car musts: Vampire Weekend, Warren G's Regulate (timely what with Nate Dogg's death - sad), and Journey's Don't Stop Believin'.

So this leaves me at a bit of an impasse. I'm very into naming my cars. My very first car, an old Mercury Tracer, was affectionately named Beatrix Kiddo; it was shortly after Kill Bill Vol. 2 had come out and was my favorite movie of the moment. Then there was the Civic, named Barracuda because it was my song of choice on Guitar Hero. I initially thought I'd call the Jetta The Valkyrie: a winged warrior, but when I got in it and drove it around, I'm not sure if that's the best. Then I thought I'd name it Nena, after the singer who did 99 Red Balloons, because it sounded so awesome in my car. But that was a passing thought. Then I figured Rhiannon, the Anglo-Saxon/Celtic goddess of movement and horses. A friend of mine suggested Gretta... for Gretta the Jetta. I can't make up my mind!

Here's where I need your help... I'm going to let y'all name my car! What do you think? Do you have your own suggestion? Take the poll or add in your own idea for a name!




The poll will stay up until Sunday night sometime and then I'll reveal the winner on Monday. I'll either pick the name with the most votes or choose an awesome name from your suggestions.

Readers, I put this into your hands.

. . .

By the way, just a quick follow up from Friday: Redefinition Day was fantastic. The zero-balancing session was exactly what I needed, not only for clarity of mind but for my lower back (I'm battling a bursitis flare-up). I had a wonderful lunch: chicken cordon bleu crepe (chicken, ham, bacon, swiss cheese, dijon mustard... drooling as I type this) with a pint of organic pale ale. And the movie Poetry was wonderful. Could have been an hour shorter, but I liked the overall plot (if predictable) and artistic feel of the film. I capped off the day with a scrumptious dinner at a local restaurant with my husband, just relaxing and enjoying the self-care. Many of you did nice things for yourself on Friday too - but it's not just limited to my day. Pick a day this week to do something celebratory for yourself, write about it, and post a link in the comments here so I can celebrate you too!

6 comments:

Heidi Smith Luedtke -- LeadingMama said...

Stopped by from ICLW -- love the idea of naming your car. And the challenge to do something nice for myself and share it. Hmmm. Now I am thinking of what to do. ;-)

Kira said...

SOOOOO jealous! I've been drooling over the 2011 Jetta for a while but we just can't afford the payments (our current car isn't paid off so we would have to combine new+old car payment would be more than our meager budget could handle at the moment) Hope you enjoy your ride! :D

My first car was Cliffina the red car (my friend had Clifford the red truck)
My current car is Ginger-Bell (orange 2000 ford focus)

Jes G said...

stopping by from iclw.... congrats on the new ride!! she is so pretty!
great song choices for your first ride!!

Carlia said...

congrats on the new car! good for your for naming her. ;) i drive a yaris and his name is yanni. ha ha! thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog! i put a lot of work into the look and it means so much to hear that it's a hit. :) happy ICLW!

M3MU said...

Ooooh I love it in black! Congrats on the sexy car! :) I'm terrible with picking a name for cars.. I never seem to be able to find the right one..

St Elsewhere said...

Congratulations on your new car! Jetta is a beautiful car. I don't own it...but I have seen it.

The Valkyrie is a beautiful name...do let us know what you pick.

I have been 'celebrating' myself with sloth for a while now...get me to work.