April 28, 2010

ICLW May Be Over, But NIAW is in Full Swing!

I did it. 170 blogs (3 went down since the list went up). 170 comments in 7 days. I made my first Iron Commenter! I have found so many new blogs to follow- check my right sidebar to who I've added. I've found a ton of adoption blogs- check out my left sidebar just to see all the adoption bloggers I'm following. But most of all, I've met and made connections with so many people. The experience of making these connections is just amazing. Iron Commenter is indeed not for the faint of heart, but it is worth it, so worth it.

Like the post title says, ICLW may be over at midnight tonight, but that doesn't mean the comments have to stop. This has definitely kicked my butt into being a better active partipant in the ALI blogosphere. The sheer value in the connections I've made will only last if I keep up my end: reading, commenting, sharing stories.

Just because ICLW is over doesn't mean that NIAW is even close to being done! There's a lot happening on Capitol Hill right now. Melissa Ford of Stirrup Queens has posted her remarks she gave this morning at the infertility briefing on the Hill. They are powerful and inspiring. They remind me of why it is that I'm out and outspoken about my IF: because we need the government to act! She's there today with the executive leadership of RESOLVE. I hope they're making waves.

What else can you do to raise awareness? You can tweet about it, Facebook it, blog about it... make sure you Stumbleupon and Kirtsy and Digg and Reddit your links too! You can be out and outspoken about your infertility. Like Iron Commenter, it's not for the faint of heart, but damn if it doesn't feel good. "But what IF I'm too nervous about outing myself?" you ask? Well, here, let me do it for you. Use me as your stand-in, and share my What IF? A Portrait of Infertility video. Just spread it with words like "Because 1 in 8 is someone you know. This video is about a very important cause." And then leave it at that. *wipes hands* See? Infertility activism and advocacy is easy.

Other ways to raise awareness? Check out all of the blogs participating in #ProjectIF. Retweet @resolveorg or follow them on Twitter. Use hashtag #infertility in your tweets. Link to other bloggers on your blog, or even better yet- on your Facebook.

There's still 4 days left, including today, to raise awareness for National Infertility Awareness Week. Take just a few minutes each day and keep the awareness going!

19 comments:

Kristin said...

I have to say again how impressed I was with the video.

cdg said...

I just wanted to thank you again for your amazing video. I still have it up on my facebook page. I wish I had your strenght to put it out there so openly like you did, but thank you for giving me a push and helping me take the first step.
wishing you well.....

nikki said...

Thank you for your comments during ICLW week :) I'm a new follower as well!

J said...

Thank you so much for your comment before my meeting. I read it before I walked in and it put a huge smile on my face!! I'm a new follower...love your blog!

The Hopeful Elephant said...

My sweet love...I did iron Commenter last month and couldn't see straight for days.

You rock. Hard. And I am so glad we found each other!

Lauren said...

I there! I just came from busted kate's blog where I watched your video... it had me in tears. You perfectly described every thought, feeling, fear, and hope I've had over the last 5 years. Thank you so much for getting the word out! I'm your newest follower and I hope you'll stop by my blog too! :)

laurenalexis1.blogspot.com

Nichole said...

Thank you for raising awareness...and thank you for your video. It validated so many questions in my own mind!

InfertileNaomi said...

You video is just great and so true! What if we don't give up hope!

Amber said...

Amazing, amazing video. It made me cry, and it made me wish I was as brave as you to share my IF struggles with others (you know, besides the internet). Thank you!!

Danya said...

Whoot! Whoot! I made your adoption bloggers list! I feel special! LOL! :D

Thanks for commenting on my blog so I could find YOURS. I'm really enjoying your fun, creative, and relateable stories and insights. YOU RAWK!!! XD

Everly said...

your video was great, I watched it three times and cried every time

Fertility Chick said...

Your video is incredible - GENIUS. Love it. YOU are incredible.

BigP's Heather said...

Saw your video on the Blog Roundup. I am going to post it on Facebook.

I'm "out" as in infertile but I don't share my blog.

THANK YOU!!!!

Hannah said...

Oh wow, you've really inspired me to share more, and share your video! What a great job with the video!

Hurdles of Life said...

The video was amazing!! It truly does show the impact of IF on a woman and a couple. xoxoxo M

Billy said...

Way to go for being an iron commenter!
And for amazing awareness for NIAW!

women:s health and fertility said...

Thank you for making such a compelling video and for being such an advocate for infertility. I am an RE from California (1/2 Japanese as well) & very impressed by all the strong, courageous women I have had the privilege of meeting through ICLW. I have posted your Vimeo video w/link back on my FB pages (hope I did it right!). I want to say, in terms of your journey, please keep yourself focused on your goal. I always tell my patients that I can get them pregnant (up until they are 50 yrs.)...it just depends on what they are willing to do to get there. You know by now how many options there are (i.e. donor eggs, embryo adoption). I welcome you to visit my blog where there is a lot information to help you prepare for your first IVF if that is what you choose to do. If you look on my FB page you will see that recently the NIH came out with a study showing that POF patients may still have immature follicles available, in fact. The field of ART is constantly changing and improving. Don't despair! Good luck! Gambatte! :) EJR, MD

Anonymous said...

From all the way across the Atlantic, thanks for this one. You did a fantastic job and I wish you luck on your journey.

Anonymous said...

this is very informative & emotional u say what so many of us feel~ thank you for posting this and 4 being an advocate my husband & i suffered thru this 4 2yrs & r now adopting & its amazing how many people still dont understand infertility. Thank you ur video is amazing!