October 28, 2010

Anchors Away

I'm on a boat! (Or will be.)
Larry and I need a vacation like whoa.

My grandmother died. I became an aunt. I got a promotion and simultaneously lost my housing as a result. So then we bought a house, but had to move out from my job-sponsored housing and live with two amazingly gracious friends for three weeks. Late August into September was batshit insane between work and closing on our house. We moved into our new home and then had an electrical fire. I won a major award. Then I started getting migraines from sex which, thank G-D!, have gone away on their own. I've finally decided to man up and get a second opinion (update: my 2nd opinion appointment is set for November 11th. Trying not to poop my pants.) I'm not recapping the last two years or anything... this is just in the last five months!

Like I said... we need a vacation. And we're taking one - we're going on a cruise after Thanksgiving!

I have the fun task at work of purchasing supplies for our resident assistants. Since I don't have a purchasing card, I just use my personal credit card and get reimbursed. I have in turn racked up over 20,000 credit card points. My husband has even more than I do (although, I don't know what he's spending that on because he's not getting reimbursed for those purchases... hmmm... *casts suspicious gaze*).

We saw a great deal on a cruise to the Western Caribbean on Norwegian's Dawn of the Seas so we put the whole thing on points. As a result, our 6-day cruise only costs... wait for it...

$20.

We still have to pay airfare, but I we can handle that when our 6-day vacation only costs us 20 bucks!

We'll be making stops in Cozumel and the Grand Cayman Islands. We've never been to Mexico (bring on the margaritas!) and this will be our second cruise. The first was our honeymoon. The great thing is that Dawn of the Seas is as old as our marriage- it was the newest ship in the Norwegian fleet when we were price shopping for our honeymoon cruise and nearly went on it, but settled for the Land/Sea Disney World & Cruise package instead (totally worth it, btw).

We'll be setting sail just as autumn starts making the turn into nasty New England winter... it'll be the perfect way to celebrate Hanukkah- drinking margaritas, gambling in international waters, and maybe snorkeling or touring ancient Mayan ruins. We can't wait!

Anyone else taking a vacation? Or anyone want to just reminisce about an awesome vacation? Feel free to share in the comments :)

16 comments:

Ashley said...

That sounds like a great trip!! It will be great to escape for a while.

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

Sounds fantastic! I love that you were able to use points and only pay $20...makes it even better! Happy trip planning!

S said...

That sounds absolutely fabulous!

Just the other day, my husband and I were lamenting the fact that saving so much money for family building is preventing us from taking a nice vacation. We've done some weekend trips but haven't been on a week-long vacation to anywhere (except visiting family) since our honeymoon to Hawaii nearly two years ago.

Have fun on your cruis!!

Melissa G said...

Holy crow, it's been a while since I've had a true vacation, but I was lucky enough to have some really great ones. The carribean is wonderful - do enjoy!

K, you have had one heck of a few months - you totally deserve this trip! can't wait to see pics. =)

Sas said...

hello there via ICLW. (it is the 29th here in newzealand so technically i'm late. but not for your end of the world!) so good that you are going on vacation and for a good deal too! i hope you have a fab time.

we would love to but we are running low on money and it doesn't help that we have a dog with issues so we can't really leave him right now haha. life is not so cool sometimes.

i watched your video the other day via someone elses blog. thanks for making it. i loved the idea and how you communicated. CONGRATULATIONS on winning an award for it!

Kristin said...

Oh, that sounds like a fabulous trip.

Krissi said...

Wow! You've been busy!! And congrats on the new house and the award! I just watched the clip of you accepting it! Awesome!! Have a great time on your trip! You deserve it! Happy ICLW! (#72 & 106)

Patience said...

What a great way to end this year! Hope you have an amazing time. DH & I took a dream vacation to St Lucia over Spring Break last year- and it was just what we needed. I hope you find the same peace we did while enjoying the time together!

Jana said...

whoa is right

Justine L said...

Wow! What a great way to celebrate! This is richly deserved for you both!

..al said...

A Six Day Cruise for $20!

Take me with you, please?

Okay, scratch the request. You need the break...I hope your vacation is wonderful.

Pamela T. said...

You have so earned it...!

lady pumpkin said...

This just in: yesyesyes! My husband started a new job a month or two ago, and I was hoping we might be able to go away before Christmas to celebrate our 5th anniversary (December 17) during the first part of my school's winter break. We've discussed a quick trip to Europe--probably Germany mostly--to enjoy some of the Christmas markets we didn't catch last winter. Ah, the joys of being Jewish. ;) Your cruise sounds lovely!

lady pumpkin said...

...I neglected to mention that hubs just got the okay from his boss for us to go away. That would have been a key detail to mention above...

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

You seriously need a vacation! And that sounds like the perfect one! Can't believe you got it for such a deal!

Cortney said...

You have definitely earned a vacation!

My husband and I are getting away to Mexico next week. We booked it the day after getting our BFN from our first IVF cycle. We decided to take some time away from all of the IF stuff (and his crazy busy work/travel schedule lately) and just focus on us for a while. I can't wait!

Hope you have a great time on your trip! The Caymans are just gorgeous!